Will Brazil Be Ready For The 2016 Olympics?
Politics

In just a few weeks, 500,000 spectators will travel from around the world to Brazil, but the country is facing massive setbacks.

14
Marcio Isensee

Brazil is set to host the 2016 Summer Olympics in just a few weeks, while practically everything that can go wrong, has.

Millions of protestors have taken to the streets in recent months to protest a corrupt government, focused mostly on President D. Rousseff, who has been impeached since then (May 12, 2016). These protestors are angry that their leaders are taking from them while they have nothing. The interim president has been accused of a political coup to get Rousseff out of her position while exposing his own agenda. Since taking office just a month ago, nothing has benefitted. Shortages in medicine, food and even clean water have become common in a once thriving country. In the last year, Zika Virus has become a disease many around the globe have familiarized themselves with. A mosquito-transmitted virus that affected thousands has spread from Brazil to much of South and Central America, with recent diagnoses reaching the United States.

This virus alone, which can affect pregnancies, has caused thousands to either cancel flights and hotels that they reserved for the event, or to not even consider going. The largest military operation in Brazilian history has been the fight against Zika, with hundreds of thousands of soldiers and other government agents setting out to combat the spread of the disease. Besides the Zika Virus and political unrest, a new superbug has found its way to Rio De Jinero where the Olympic Games will be centered. Here’s a quick excerpt from Reuters, “The super bacteria is known to cause ‘urinary, gastrointestinal, pulmonary and bloodstream infections, as well as meningitis.’

The CDC said studies show that super bacteria contribute to the death in up to half of patients who are infected by the dangerous bug.” With such dangerous conditions ahead of the game, even some athletes are going to be watching the Olympics from their homes. Not only are there super bugs, Zika Virus and growing political unrest, but there is also sewage and trash scattered throughout the waterways where competitions will be hosted, leading training Olympic athletes to become ill before the start of the event. With so many forces acting against Brazil at one time, many are calling for the Games to be postponed or moved to a different location. Although athletes, doctors and public officials have come out in support of this move, no Brazilian or Olympic authorities are ready to alter plans.

This leaves Brazil in a tough spot. With hundreds of public officials, ranging from doctors to politicians, to leaders in the public health field pleading for the Games to be moved or postponed, it shows a sentiment that is shared around the world shown by the amount of tickets sold. As fear and speculation grow around Brazil’s ability to host a safe and fun Olympic Games, tens of thousands of tickets remain unsold, with Brazilian authorities trying to give them away to schools and other organizations in the nation.

It remains uncertain if the Summer Olympics will be a success, especially since much of the Games’ infrastructure will be completed just hours before the Opening Ceremony.

Anyway, I know I will be watching.