Looking Back on 2016

Looking Back on 2016

Through it all I lived another year!

17
Looking Back on 2016

I know how everyone wants 2016 to be over and hope that the world maybe can be a little better, and we can move passed all the craziness that has occurred this year! I agree that I am excited for the new year but then again I always am! It's a time to look back on all we did this year and the things we want to change or start doing the new year. Although half the stuff we wish to change will only last maybe a month, at least we can try!

2016 has been a heck of a year, but it has not all been bad and I feel like it is important to share the good. I have had a rough year but, I still feel that it is important to remind people of the good things that 2016 has brought to me! The world will always have something wrong, there is no other way with humans, but there will also always be something good and I wish to focus on that since the world often forgets the good. Each year my mom likes to send our Christmas cards with a little note of the 12 months and what occurred for our family each month, so here is my version.

1. January.

For me the beginning of the year was spent at a family/friend party with my best friend, many sparklers and lots of apple cider! Soon going back to school — which is tough since who actually wants to go back to taking exams and writing papers? But going back to school meant going back to see some of my best friends! It also meant that I was half way done my sophomore year!

2. February.

Not much went on in February, aside from my brother's birthday! Birthday's are always a blessing! It also came with snow which some may see as a bad thing, but snow is my favorite. Like Lorelai in "Gilmore Girls", I love snow and the smell of it and the way it makes everything magical. Snow is also a big deal for me since I do live in Maryland and go to school on the Eastern Shore, which means snow is not that frequent so I do get the chance to be extremely excited for this.

3. March.

Not the best month I'll admit, losing a friend to the great beyond is something I never want to feel again, though I know that as time passes it will happen again one day. But this month was also rather exciting since I was able to attend a conference in Boston. I fell in love with that city. Walking from Fenway to the Common and then to Harvard I would have crushed my Fitbit goal — if I had one. My feet were beat at the end of the day. I also met up with my cousin who lives close to Boston. In more or less words, March was a roller coaster of a month!

4. April.

Did someone say Relay? Relay For Life was in April! We were able to raise over $124,000 for the American Cancer Society on April 22 and 23. The whole school year was spent in preparation for that night and it paid off! The Salisbury University student body made us proud with the way they helped support this great cause and celebrated the lives that have survived this horrible disease.

5. May.

What a month! Finals week, the end of my sophomore year, being half-way done college, surprising my sister at her surprise birthday party, kayaking with my dad the weekend before finals, and ending the school year the way I will every school year — going into the fountain at school. This tradition began freshman year, and although an unusually cold May again, I ended my sophomore year doing the same. I also saw Jason Derulo at Gullfest. Oh, and my brother graduated from Towson University! I am officially the last child in my family in college.

6. June.

Summer time! Most of the days I spent working at Chick-fil-a . . . "my pleasure." I went on bike rides and hung out with friends, although this month was a bit different than past Junes since my family got rid of our pool. Bachelorette party number one was a success. My sister, although hesitant, enjoyed her party at a local vineyard that included a couple of her close friends and of course her favorite sister — me!

7. July.

Happy Birthday America! Fourth of July was a blast! I can't help but say "oohhh" and "aahhhh" at every firework! I even went to my very first Major League Baseball game with my father. Next, I went to Washington State with my mother and her best friend to see my sister. This was the second time for me to be on the West coast and it was still a blast. I finally can say I have been out of the United States — it was Canada and only for a night, but hey, there were accents and a different currency!

8. August.

Beach time! I finally got the chance to go to the beach with my dad's family. We go to Rehoboth each year, and although this year we had a different house it was still the beach week I remember! Apparently, I am also a natural at paddle boarding — of course only on smooth water. Next, was a bridal shower for both of my sisters. I had the greatest job of all, to write down all the gifts they received and who they were from. It was a blast surprising my sister!

9. September.

Back at school! Again, not super pumped about the work to be done, but extremely excited to hang out with friends again. September also meant bachelorette party number two;This included a day at the beach and then partying at the boardwalk and reliving a little bit of our childhood by going to Funland! Not your usual bachelorette party, but still a night to remember. Finally, it was my sisters wedding! I cried when I walked down the aisle because I could not be happier for my sister. First of all, she looked beautiful. Second, I am so happy that she has found the love of her life! I think I nailed the Maid of Honor job as well.

10. October.

Fall time! A best friend that graduated came to visit, which was amazing! I won "Silliest Costume" at a costume party, which was extremely exciting; My Bag of Eminems was a hit! Six weeks after one sister got married it was time for the next! It was a perfect fall day in Pennsylvania. Again, beautiful and tears were shed for my sister who also found the love of her life. I could not imagine her being happier with anyone else! Loved dancing the night away . . . and eating all the pie I could get my hands on.

11. November.

Thanksgiving! So excited to start the holiday season and finally have a little break from school. I had a blast seeing my family and playing the crazy game "Pie Face." My cousin may have filmed the entire thing and posted it on Facebook. I also celebrated my birthday at home with my family before my actual birthday!

12. December.

My birthday! I have officially been on this earth for two whole decades! Happy to finally be out of the teens, although I don't look it. I started my birthday with my Relay family and I could not have asked for a better way to start my big day. The rest of the day included hanging out with my roommate and some more finals again. I was able to leave the Tuesday of finals week and spend a little extra time at home before I go to Ecuador!

This year has been a blessing. Everyday we have on this earth is a blessing! Although there were some not-so-great things that have occurred and I realize that perhaps my year was a little lucky, I still believe there is good in this word and we must celebrate it. I cannot wait to see what's in store for me in 2017, good or bad, come what may I will still be blessed!