My 2000s Era Childhood Is Back And Better Than Ever
Nostalgia

Here's how I feel about how things from my childhood are becoming relevant again.

1102

From live-action adaptations of popular video game characters to former Disney Channel stars making comebacks, I feel like I'm in elementary school again. While it's nice to see the Jonas Brothers making music together again, it's made me think about a few things. The first being why is there a seemingly sudden influx of adaptions and comebacks of things that were relevant in the past decade? Also, when and what are we going to readapt and make relevant again from 2019 in 2029? Finally, what really is nostalgia and how is our generation's sense of nostalgia unique to others? Here's what I have to say.

I've only been alive for 19 and a half years, and nostalgia has only recently become a new feeling for me. I'm aware that every generation experiences nostalgia and wanting the "good old days back", but when is it supposed to hit? No one ever told me. When you think about it, aren't we a little bit too young to be feeling nostalgic? We're only a few years removed from being considered children, but we haven't truly lived life yet. I only say this because whenever I heard the words "nostalgia" or "the good old days" it was usually coming from an older adult or a senior citizen. I never anticipated using those words truthfully until I was around that age too.

What I think brought out my feelings of nostalgia was when I realized that I was fast approaching the age that most of my favorite childhood TV and movie characters were and that most of them were now well into their twenties and thirties. Personally, I think I took what happened in my favorite shows and movies a little too seriously and translated a lot of what I learned in them to my own personal life, so once I reached the point when I turned 18, around the same age Disney Channel and Nick aged their main characters to in the final seasons, I felt a bit lost. I didn't really know what to expect from life because I hadn't seen what life was supposed to be like as a young adult because I didn't watch anything as a kid where the main plot was centered around a college student. It was kind of my own version of being thrust into the real world with little relevant knowledge.

With the comebacks and adaptations, it's kind of leaving off where my childhood TV shows and movies initially left off however many years ago. Even though I'm not taking it quite as seriously as I did when I was a kid, I do find it nice. I don't have to keep referring to "the good old days" when a lot of what was relevant in my childhood is all of a sudden still relevant. So this time around, I'm definitely going to appreciate things from my childhood while they're still relevant.