20 Ways To Serve Others This Holiday Season

'Tis the season to serve!

41
Bustle

It's the most wonderful time of the year, isn't it? After all, we get gifts, a break from school, family time, holiday activities, and more. One thing we tend to overlook around this time is the people who have less than we do. The people who have no families to celebrate with, no holiday dinners, no presents or money to buy them. There are people who spend their holidays in the hospital due to illnesses. There are people who spend every day freezing on the streets with nothing to comfort them. There are people struggling all around us, and if you step back every once and a while you will realize you're much more privileged than you think. Be grateful for what you have, because someone will always have it worse. Don't take what you have for granted, give to others, share what's yours, let others feel the same joy you do, and make this holiday season memorable for everyone you serve. There are actions we should take to ensure everyone gets some holiday cheer and feels loved, not only ourselves. From the wise words of Ghandi, "The best way to find yourself, is to lose yourself in the service of others." Find yourself this holiday season. It's the perfect time to serve others and there are so many ways to do so:

1. Volunteer at a homeless shelter

Some people pray to get into a homeless shelter just to escape the cold for a few hours. By volunteering at a homeless shelter, you give the people staying there hope and can lift their spirits just by being there to provide some type of service. You can serve food, clean the facility, help with laundry, or simply speak to those who need a friend. Any type of service there is appreciated and is a good way to show humility.

2. Visit youth homes

A lot of kids out there live without parents, or someone to provide the one-on-one care that they need. When you volunteer to serve youth at places they take refuge in, you are showing they are cared for and are giving them the love they deserve. Some kids just want a friend to play with, or someone who will listen to them. Show the youth they are not alone, and reach a helping hand to them this season.

3. Visit hospitals

Some people have to spend the holidays apart from friends and loved ones due to illnesses that keep them hospitalized. Often times those people are lonely and feel sadness by being trapped away from the rest of the celebrations of the world. You can volunteer at hospitals through various ways and provide service to people who are struggling with battles everyday.

4. Caroling

Singing door to door throughout your neighborhood, or to someone you feel needs holiday cheer, can put a smile on anyone's face. Who doesn't love to open their door to a bunch of smiling faces singing joyful songs to them?

5. Sub 4 Santa Donations (money)

Sometimes it can be hard to find time this season to volunteer somewhere or perform big acts of service. By simply giving money to foundations that serve others, your charity can go a long way.

6. Serve your neighbor

Whether it's cleaning your neighbor's house for free, or helping them with a chore they need to get done, show your neighbors you care for them and that you are there to help during this busy time. It can be any small act of service!

7. Help the elderly

Open the door for them, help them cross an icy street, carry their groceries to their car, or anything else you see them struggling with. The elderly aren't as capable of doing things by themselves as they used to be. Show them some kindness and appreciation.

8. Plow someone's driveway

One of the bad things about winter are the snowy driveways. They can be a pain in the butt. Take away someone else's pain by clearing the snow from another driveway. It will make their whole day a million times better and takes a burden off their shoulders!

9. Scrape someone's windows

Another bad part of winter is waking up to your car completely covered in a blanket of snow. It's the worst to get off and you dread it every morning. Everyone dreads it, so if you're in a public parking lot, scrape the car next to you as well and give them something to smile about that day.

10. Bring a family a meal

Not every family is able to enjoy a home cooked meal every night. Bring a family in need, or someone you love, a warm meal that they can enjoy together.

11. Write love letters

You might confess your love to the crush you've had since 2nd grade, or you're simply telling your best friend all the reasons why you love them. No matter who the letter is to, write one full of love and kindness to someone you feel needs a boost that day.

12. Smile at strangers

Smiles are contagious! You can make a person's day simply by grinning at them as you pass by. It will make them feel good inside, I promise.

13. Buy someone's meal

When you go out to eat or are in the drive through, pay for the person behind you's meal and it will make their food even more enjoyable for them. We all wish it would happen to us, so make it happen for someone else and you could cause a whole chain reaction!

14. Give heartfelt gifts, rather than materialistic ones

Most people like gifts that are sentimental, gifts that are made from love. Family members especially love heartfelt presents. It could be a framed picture, something you knitted, a painting you created, or a bracelet you put together with a string and a few beads. Whatever it is, if it's something you made with love, it's going to be that much more meaningful to whomever you give it to.

15. Volunteer to watch someone's kids for free

If looking after kids is something you enjoy, offer to watch someone else's children for free and allow the parents to have a date night to themselves. It will be a nice break for the parents to get away and enjoy a holiday evening together, and you will be serving them by offering your time and service free of charge- after all, babysitters can be pretty expensive.

16. Be a friend to someone

Reach out to the people who are lonely, who have no friends, and who often times keep to themselves. Sometimes people are going through a lot more than they appear to be showing.

17. Write a complimentary note to your waiter/waitress

Rather than just leaving a tip, write a note with it complementing your waiter/waitress on the service they provided to you. It'll mean more to them than just a few dollars. Be kind to them because they do the best they can for you!

18. Write letters to military personnel overseas

By showing your appreciation for the soldiers who fight for the freedom of our country, you are servicing them with your gratitude. They risk their lives so we can live ours freely and constantly serve us, it would only be fair to serve them in return. Since many military families are apart during the holidays, let them know they have people from home who love and appreciate them in all they do for us.

19. Hug someone who needs it

Who doesn't love a good hug from a friend? If you notice someone you know, or even someone you don't, feeling down, offer them a hug. It's scientifically proven that hugs make a person feel better!

20. Spend time with family and loved ones

This is the time of year to be with those closest to you. There's no better feeling than surrounding yourself with people you love, and who love you in return. Instead of secluding yourself away from family, because sometimes it can be overwhelming, make an effort to enjoy your time with them and be present in the moment.

Make this holiday season one for everyone to be happy about! The smallest acts of service can make a person's day.