20 Uncomfortable Realities Of Using Dorm Bathrooms

We all have to live through using dorm bathrooms at some point, but that doesn't make them any more pleasant.

11504
upbeacon.com

The bathrooms in the dorm buildings are a horror that every college student has to live through at least once in their lives. There are so many unpredictable and unfortunate circumstances that someone using a communal bathroom is bound to run into. Ranging from the grossness of the showers to the insufficient number of sinks and mirrors, there are more than enough issues to fill three articles with, let alone one.

1. When you wake up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, you have to put on shoes before leaving the bedroom because the floor of the common bathroom is never to be trusted.

2. The cleaning people rarely clean the showers and, when they do, the job is less than thorough.

3. When you wake up late and try to take a quick shower before class, luck will have it that all three showers will already be occupied.

4. There never seem to be any paper towels.

5. You have to wear shoes in the shower because if you think the bathroom floors are grimy, just wait until you look at the shower floors.

6. There are puddles everywhere and if you go into the bathroom with just socks on, you're likely to walk out of there with soaking wet socks and feet.

7. The bathroom stalls are barely big enough to sit down in without the door touching your knees. (Were they designed for hobbits?)

8. In the shower, there is absolutely no room to shave your legs or to even rotate without randomly hitting some part of your body on an oddly slimy wall.

9. The toilet flushers always seem to be uncomfortably wet with condensation from the pipes.

10. There's rarely toilet paper in any of the three stalls.

11. There's no place to change after your shower, so you pray that there are no parents, strangers, or members of the opposite sex hanging out in the hallway when you leave the bathroom.

12. You have to carry a shower caddy, hold the towel around you, and open the door to the bathroom and your room without flashing anyone.

13. There's always a chance that your roommate forgot that you were showering and locked you out of your room.

14. There aren't nearly enough sinks or mirrors when everyone needs, simultaneously, to brush their teeth.

15. People, for some reason, think that the sinks in the bathroom have a disposal attached to them and then clog the sinks by shoving food down the drain.

16. With your wet shower shoes, you track puddles of shower water into your dorm room every time you come back from the bathroom.

17. There's one soap dish installed in the wall of the shower and it's always filled with hair elastics, bobby pins, razor blade containers, discarded shaving cream caps, and lots of other miscellaneous trash that the previous person left for you to find.

18. There are tons of hair puppies all over the shower walls. You spend a good amount of your shower cursing the long-haired blonde on your floor who left you so many furry surprises.

19. The towel hooks are nowhere near the shower. When you finish your shower, you have to stick your arm out and blindly feel around in the vague direction of your towel, hopefully not revealing too much of your naked body in the process.

20. The shower curtains never seem to stay entirely closed. If you're lucky enough to get a shower with a fully intact curtain, there always seems to be an awkward peep-hole that you dance around, hoping that nobody who is passing by can see inside.