20 Times Short Hair Will Save Your Life

20 Times Short Hair Will Save Your Life

Less is more, for real this time

25
20 Times Short Hair Will Save Your Life
Hannah Grubb

In the age of topknots and reverse ombre, almost anything goes when it comes to what you want to do with the hair on your head. However, it seems that Women With Short Hair are still considered something of an anomaly. Despite this, the trend has grown in popularity, and there have been short-haired baddies out there destroying gender norms for decades. Here are just a few reasons why you may chose to join the ranks of Women With Less Hair Than Jared Leto:

1. College is expensive, but when you only use about six tablespoons of shampoo a month, a light appears at the end of the tunnel.
  2. No A.C., no problem. Rolled-down windows on a 65 mph highway ain’t got nothing on a pixie cut.
  3. “What should I do with my hair” choices are made simple; basically, just keep it on your head. Or don't. It's up to you, girl.
  4. Prom is already too much drama, good thing you don’t have to chose between an updo or beach curls.
  5. Your chances of looking famous increase by approximately 10,000 percent (and to answer you all, yes I do know who Audrey Hepburn is and yes, I agree that the resemblance is uncanny).
  6. Cheap haircuts will give you more satisfaction than you had ever anticipated. Say goodbye to $30 trims and hello to an R.A. equipped with crafting scissors and a Pinterest-inspired vision.
  7. Wake up with four minutes until class? Not a problem. Brush your teeth and grab some pants.
  8. That terrifying OMG-is-there-a-spider-crawling-down-my-neck moment only occurs when there’s an actual spider and not just a loose strand of ponytail crawling down your back, so no cause for unnecessary alarm.
  9. Your chances of ruining a super-romantic moment dramatically decrease. First kisses are not supposed to be glamorous, but you can rest easy knowing that you can cross, "What if he gets a mouthful of long, blonde hair instead?," off the list of things to worry about.
  10. So. Many. Styles. From pixies to asymetricals, from bobs to undercuts, there is a short haircut for every face shape.
  11. You actually feel lighter when you leave that chair for the first time.
  12. No split ends (well, at least not the gross, obvious kind).
  13. Halloween is only fun if you look the part, and when that part is John Lennon to your best friend's Yoko Ono, there are no lice-infested wigs to worry yourself with.
  14. “But why would you get rid of that pretty hair of yours?” “You’re excited now, but you’ll hate it once it’s actually gone.” “Wow, you look like your brother.” “I liked it better when you looked like a girl.” “Are you so and so’s son?” These comments will roll off your fabulous new do when there’s 92 percent humidity and you’re the only one who hasn’t even noticed.
  15. No awkward bang tan lines will plague your beach days.
  16. You can spend money on cute accessories like flower crowns and antique metal clips knowing that they will certainly be seen.
  17. Sleep is sacred...and so are those 20 extra minutes our long-haired sisters spend curling and spraying and hating and throwing in a baseball cap while we slumber on.
  18. It's much easier to be eco-friendly when you can get in and out of the shower in less than four minutes without having to skip the conditioner.
  19. The conversations you will have with traditionalists will continue to empower you to always, always make decisions for yourself and not for the praise of the masses.
  20. You may not even realize how much you rely on your hair for a feeling of security until it is no longer there to protect you. That kind of exposure, no matter how trivial the difference between a few inches may seem, serves as the first step to owning your role in a space as one who occupies and engages, rather than a mere bystander. You are here and you are seen and you are a force to be reckoned with.

You may find yourself pining for your old do when you see a particularly fine messy bun. But one regret you will never have with short hair is knowing that you did a thing that many consider “brave.” And more importantly, a thing you did entirely for you.

Long hair, short hair, no hair: keep being you, girlfriend.