20 Thoughts Of A New 20-Year-Old

20 Thoughts Of A New 20-Year-Old

A new era calls for another reflection on life in the present and what lies in store for the future

18
20 Thoughts Of A New 20-Year-Old
Naomi Burhoe

I turned 20 a little over a week ago and wanted to write something about what reaching this milestone means to me. Please enjoy, and thank you for reading.

1. I’m not a teen anymore.
  2. With the advent of a new era, I have the opportunity to once again start afresh. I’m officially in the land of 20-year-olds, where hopes and dreams revolve around getting through college, finding my passions, and preparing for my dream job. Along the way, I hope to encounter someone special, start a family, and maybe even travel somewhere I’ve never been.

3. I have one more year left.
  4. For many people, one of the most important birthdays is the one where they turn 21. I can understand their reasoning because, at age 21, citizens of the US are granted some of the last remaining rights withheld from them. The most notable is probably the right and privilege to drink alcohol.

5. I have amazing people coming with me on my journey.
  6. This past year has been pretty crazy, but I’m so thankful that I could spend it with so many amazing friends and family members.

7. I’m starting off the new era with a mission to do something more.
  8. I think it’s important to focus one’s energies on pursuing things which will better us in the long run. In my own life, I hope to use the circumstances which come my way to learn much and to help those who are less fortunate.

9. For once I’m on the path to a better, healthier future.
  10. Since November, I have had the opportunity to engage in healthier eating habits, ones which I hope will continue to influence my well-being in the years to come. I wasn’t extremely fat but I knew if I kept going down the path I was on, I would definitely regret it. Thankfully, I found people to support me and with the help and companionship of my mother, I have been able to lose over 25 pounds.

11. I pray that I may be able to succeed in that which I set my mind to in the years to come.
  12. Currently, I am on the path to becoming a computer programmer. As such, I am attempting to collect resources which will help me develop the programming skills that I need in order to succeed in my chosen field. In addition, I hope to develop other skills which will help me become a better, kinder person.

13. The world is a scary place, but I’m preparing to face it head on.
  14. There is so much out in the world which is cause for concern. With the aid of fantastic friends and wonderful teachers, I think we can become a force for change to heal portions of the world locked in conflict and troublesome situations.

15. I can do this.
  16. It’s always important to be optimistic, even if you’re not much of a glass-is-half-full kind of person. I’m not really myself. I usually prefer to think that the glass is completely full, but filled with two distinct substances: water and air.

17. There’s a lot more out there than what we can ever fully experience.
  18. And because there’s so much out there, it’s important not to think of ourselves too highly. By this I mean that we should try to be humble in our thoughts, and compassionate in our attitudes. We should be willing to always have those difficult and deep conversations. We should always be willing to learn about the experiences that others have had and the environments they grew up in.

19. There’s no day like the present.
  20. We aren’t guaranteed tomorrow. We aren’t promised the opportunity to continue moving forward like we always have. As such, we should aim to live out each day with the mindset that it’s all we’ve got. We should live to help others, live to be emblems of the beauty and kindness we seek to encounter in the world.

21. We all have our issues.
  22. There’s no point wasting our time with arguments that will be forgotten years from now. We should be willing to engage others in ways that seek to uplift them in their journey toward better horizons. We should be willing to let go of negative thoughts and desires in order to become more than what we ever were before.

23. Don’t be afraid to be that weird person.
  24. Hey, if people stare at you when you’re singing away while doing your work, it’s not such a huge deal. Personally, I think it’s awesome to stand out and spread joy at work or school. They can shake their heads and roll their eyes while you do something crazy amazing, but you know that they are secretly jealous of your bravery.

25. Responsibility is an important aspect of any undertaking.
  26. If we don’t take responsibility for our actions, it will only hinder our progress in achieving greatness. Many people say to follow your dreams, but following dreams takes a lot of work. If we don’t start now it will only make our path harder later on. If we never try, we won’t know what it is we want (or don’t want) to do with ourselves.

27. Love is out there somewhere.
  28. Whether that love be in the arms of a romantic partner or in the kindness of a stranger’s gesture, I believe that love exists to make our journey through life easier to bear. We all carry burdens that seek to overwhelm us, but through a loving hand, we might be able to continue moving forward.

29. It’s important to set reachable goals in order to move forward in whatever path is chosen.
  30. Some goals I have set in order to continue on my journey include getting involved in a group of like-minded individuals to foster a greater personal faith and to immerse myself in initiatives to learn more about the world around me.

31. The diverse group of friends which I call mine has aided me in finding new passions and exploring interests which I thought buried forever.
  32. When I was a child, I used to take dance classes and dreamed of being an amazing dancer. As the years passed, however, I gave up that dream in order to focus on my schoolwork and becoming a better person. When I began college, I was reintroduced to this aspect of my vision thanks to the diversity of friends I made that enjoyed such excursions.

33. Sometimes separation from people is key in the development of personal conviction and passion for others.
  34. I have had friends over my 20 years of living come and go in my life. Sometimes, they left for a short time and others I’ve never seen again. With each welcome and ensuring farewell I have been able to mature in my understanding and appreciation for who they are and how they impacted my life, whether positively or negatively.

35. The only way to affect change is to take initiative.
  36. I hope that with this new season I may begin a journey to become someone who takes risks and reaches out to others.

37. Take heart, gentle spirit, for there is one always with you to aid you in those difficult periods.
  38. I usually don’t share this because I view it as a personal affair, but I am a Christian. I get that life can be difficult sometimes, but I always find comfort knowing that there’s someone out there greater than me who took on the sin of the world, my personal sin included and loves me enough to hold me when I’m sad and guide me in my walk.

39. Each new beginning is a privilege and a responsibility.
  40. We aren’t promised greatness. We aren’t promised wealth. We aren’t even promised another day. But we do have this hope and promise that we are loved and will be loved forevermore. When we are given a new day to live, we are given the responsibility to use it for the good of others.

I personally don’t agree with the message “You must love yourself before you can love anyone else.” In fact, I believe that if we love others, someday that love will be returned, even if it comes from a different source.

If ever you wish to learn more, you can ask me privately.

Thank you for your time.

Have a blessed day ☺