20 Thoughts Every Balloon Walker Has During The Parade

The Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade captures the eyes of millions of Americans every Thanksgiving. Who doesn’t love a good parade? They’ve got singers, performers, the Rockettes, and even Santa. Most importantly, they’ve got gigantic balloons of your favorite characters and such. What we may not always see are the large amounts of people under each balloon that are dedicating their time and holding onto a string, allowing for this wonderful event to take place each year. But I wonder what they’re thinking about the whole time…

• I wonder what would happen if I just let go. There are plenty of other people holding on. Or would it float up with them?
  • It’s so cold. I can’t feel my fingers anymore. Am I even holding the string still? I don’t know.
  • How much farther is there to walk? I think we only have eight blocks left. That’s only four blocks twice which is only two blocks four times. I walk two blocks to get my bagel some mornings. I can do this. I just have to get my bagel four times.
  • I’m going to eat soooo much turkey after this (and ham and cornbread dressing and the good rolls and pie and more pie).
  • Do we get a discount at Macy’s for doing this? I could really use some new boots.
  • What character am I even holding?
  • I wonder if I can get a picture with some of the Rockettes after this is over. Everyone would be so jealous. I definitely have to do it so I can set it as my Facebook profile picture.
  • I swear that guy in the back better not let go. I do not feel like getting an aerial view of the city today.
  • I hope someone is recording this so I can watch it later and find myself. I’m on TV. Momma I made it!
  • Well this will definitely spice up my resume.
  • I wish I could have been with the Clifford balloon animal. That was my favorite book as a kid. I love that big, red dog.
  • Who wants to take a selfie?
  • 100 slices of pie in the fridge, 100 slices of pie. Take one out, pass it around, 99 slices of pie in the fridge…
  • I think Selena Gomez is singing on the float behind me. Oh my goodness! I see her!
  • I’m going to need a nap after this. A nap by the fireplace with a blanket sounds nice right now.
  • Do we get to pop the balloon after the parade is over? That’d be cool.
  • Who makes these things? Like where do you learn to make a huge balloon? I didn’t learn that in college.
  • I’m great at this. We haven’t hit any buildings or let it fly away. Can I be a professional balloon walker?
  • I think I see the end of the parade. We’ve almost made it. We’re so close.
  • Well that was fun.