20 Things You Know If You Were Raised Jewish

Lessons learned through a life of temple services, bagel eating, and endless rounds of Jewish geography.

732

There's no denying that something about being Jewish is different than being part of any other religion. Something about the culture and the intense sense of tradition creates a unique feeling of connection to Judaism in even the least religious families. I mean, you can't tell me you don't smile a little bit when someone you meet introduces themselves and you find out that their last name is either Cohen, Katz, or Levine. There isn't a real way to put it into words, so instead I'll just give us all a few reminders of things that every Jewish person can totally relate to.

1. Bar/Bat Mitzvah season was when you peaked...

2. But obviously your special day was the peak of the peaks!

3. You have an opal Hamsa necklace.

4. None of your friends understand what you mean when you tell them you want to hear the "whole schpiel".

5. Your dad sounds more like Larry David than the Italian man he's trying to impersonate.

6. You know the difference between "BBYO" and "BYOB"

7. There is no single correct way to spell "Hannukah"

8. Songs like "Time of Your Life", "I Hope You Dance", and "100 Years" remind you of Bar/Bat Mitzvah video montages.

9. Finding an NJB (Nice Jewish Boy) is the key to making your mom happy.

10. Matzoh ball soup is the ultimate comfort food.

11. Nobody ever hosts the first and second night of Passover.

12. The best way to break a fast after Yom Kippur is with breakfast food, no questions asked.

13. Chocolate babka is better than a chocolate cupcake any day.

14. Sleepaway camp was all you ever wanted to talk about, and you had a countdown to camp every year

15. Jewish geography was, and continues to be, the leading form of networking in your life.

16. Most of your friends in college are in "Jewish" sororities or fraternities (shoutouts to AEPhi, AEpi, and SDT!!)

17. Your family roots somehow lead you to Brooklyn, NY.

18. Something or another is wrong with your stomach or you have a certain intolerance (i.e. celiac, lactose intolerance, IBS...the list goes on).

19. Living close enough to a Ben's Deli is an absolute must.

20. You have a serious emotional connection to bagels.

In the wise words of Schmidt...