20 Things That You Know To Be True When You're From The South

There's no place quite like the South.

26
Spreading Southern Soul

Every part of the USA is unique, but, in my opinion, there’s no place like the South. From the sweet tea to the football teams, the South is very special. Here are 20 things that you know to be true when you’re from the South.

1. You never know what to expect with the weather.

Weather is crazy in the South. It could be hot one day and snowing the next. Those weathermen sure do deserve an award for being so patient, doing such thorough work, and broadcasting live on social media from home. Y’all are the real MVPs!

2. It is “Y’all”, not “you all”.

When you’re addressing a group of people, you use “Y’all”. “Y’all” is a contraction of “you all”, and it’s just quicker to say. Work smart, not hard.

3. Humidity makes the heat worse.

Heat is one thing, but heat and humidity is brutal. You go outside and instead of just sweating, you feel sticky, too.

4. Tea, especially sweet tea, is the wine of the South.

Having a party? You better fix some tea for your guests. Tea is acceptable for a fancy event or an afternoon rocking out on the front porch. That’s the beauty of it!

5. Pearls are acceptable for every occasion.

They go with everything and they’re so classy!

6. Everything is better fried.

There’s a reason why the majority of the foods at the fair are fried: everything tastes better after it has been dipped in batter and grease.

7. People think you’re dumb when they hear your southern accent.

Yes, I have an accent. Yes, I use words that are strange to you. Yes, I know how to speak proper English. Yes, we go to school. Morgan Wallen said it best when he said, "No, I ain't ashamed. As a matter of fact, I'm proud of the way I talk." You get it, Morgan. Our accents are unique. They're influenced by the people around us, and that's a beautiful thing.

8. God loves your football team the most!

God and Jesus know how to call those Hogs!

9. “Bless your heart” can be used in many different situations.

Everybody’s heart could use a little blessin’.

10. There’s no such thing as a word with just one syllable in the South.

Those extra syllables add character!

11. The angrier a person is, the more syllables there are in their words.

It makes your point come across when you draw out your words, right?

12. You never criticize anyone’s mama.

Them’s fightin’ words.

13. Never criticize another person’s child.

Hell hath no fury like a mad southern mama protecting her baby.

14. Someone in your family will own a truck.

You can always depend on family to be there when you need them.

15. One of the best ways to send your condolences is by cooking people food.

Nothing says “I’m sorry for your loss” like a good home cooked meal.

16. You can never have too many casserole dishes.

Every good southern woman needs to know how to make a good casserole and she needs a lot of casserole dishes so that she can share her food with the people she holds dear.

17. Nobody cooks better than your mama.

Don’t even try to convince me that your food is better. You won’t win. Mama’s cookin’ has been and always will be the absolute best!

18. No matter what the label says, every soda is a Coke.

Don’t ask us why. That’s just the way it is.

19. It’s a buggy, not a shopping cart.

How do y’all have enough time to say “shopping cart”?

20. Don’t argue with a southern woman.

A southern woman can be a blessing and joy to everyone she meets, but don’t make her angry and then try to argue with her. You will not win.

Life in the South is beautiful. We enjoy the finer things in life, but we also know how to just enjoy the little blessings that God has given us to enjoy. I wouldn’t want to live anywhere else. For those of you that haven’t experienced life in the South, come on down! We’ll have the tea waitin’ for you!