Hard to believe that my 20th birthday is right around the corner. When I glance back at my life, I don't feel like I've lived that many years already. I don't feel like I've experienced enough to already be blowing out TWENTY birthday candles. But when I think, I mean really think, about what the last 20 years have brought me, I realize that I've probably experienced enough for my lifetime times two. "Little by little, a little becomes a lot."
20 things I learned over 20 years:
1. It's important to make sure you're living your life for you.
Do the things you want to, that make you happy, that grow you as a person. Learn how to feed your soul now, and you'll know what to do when you need to later.
2. It's okay to end toxic relationships, especially if they're with family.
Not everyone will treat you the way you deserve. Some people are just toxic. Unfortunately, sometimes, these people are the people we are closest to, the people that are to take care of us, the people that we call blood. It's okay to end relationships with these people, it won't be easy, it'll be hard and painful, but you'll thank yourself later. I know I did.
3. Learning to cook was the best thing I ever learned.
Eventually, you'll have to move out of your parent's house. Some of us do it when we're 1,8 some of us do it when we're 25. No matter when it is, you'll be thankful you learned how to cook because takeout gets expensive and frozen foods get old.
4. Heartbreak is inevitable.
You will get your heart broken. Warning you now. But as inevitable as it is, it's also only temporary. Cry it out, scream it out, be sad, then clean yourself up and move right along.
5. You'll know when you're in the presence of a fake friend.
It'll be in the little things they do or say. Something won't feel right. When you get that feeling, trust it, 9 times out of 10, you'll be right.
6. The only things that can't be taken from you are your memories and your experiences.
Spend time. Not money. Material things can be taken, forgotten, but the time and memories you make will last you forever.
7. You are stronger than you're giving yourself credit for.
We all feel weak and broken at one point or another. But that doesn't mean we lack strength.
"You're like a Diamond, Resilient, Strong and Beautiful."
8. Make sure to say "thank you" often.
Those who you appreciate need to be reminded from time to time. Tell them. Even those you don’t know, thank them. Those two little words can turn a bad day into a good one.
9. Fall in love with yourself first.
You can’t love someone else without loving yourself first. You’ve heard it, I’ve heard it. I didn’t believe it until I tried it. The moment you fall in love with yourself, you’ll open up to all that loving someone else can offer. And they’ll start to love you for the same reasons you love yourself.
10. Make a plan for your life, change it a million times, but always have a plan.
Plan for your future. The plan might change once, twice or 19 times. You’ll be glad you have a plan, a goal, something to look forward to, something to work towards.
11. Take the leap.
Do whatever scares the hell out of you. You'll be glad you did.
12. You don't know how what you say, do, post affects someone else's life. Be mindful. Be helpful.
A simple share or post on social media can make a big difference in someone’s life.
But this goes beyond social media. The look on our face, the things we say, our tone of voice. They all can impact other people.
13. Travel is good for the soul.
It’s true. Get away, if even for a day. You’ll feel better when you come home.
14. Not everyone is going to agree with you.
15. Be tolerant of other opinions.
Even if your opinion differs from someone else's, they have reasons why they believe what they do, the same way you do. Agree to disagree
16. Trust your gut.
You have those feelings for a reason, so trust them.
17. Your dreams are only as big as you allow them to be.
Dream big, reach for the stars. You’ll be surprised what your brain can think up.
18. ALL relationships take work, friendships included.
If you’re not willing to put in the effort then you don’t deserve the relationship.
19. Working sucks sometimes, but you'll appreciate it when you get that paycheck.
Develop your work ethic young! I can’t explain how important this is!!!!
20. Enjoy your life.
They weren’t kidding when they said that life is short. I’m learning that. These years go by so quickly you’ll feel like you’ve barely blinked and they’re gone. Make every moment count.