20 Things I Learned After 30 Days Of Being Vegan

I never even learned this much during a month of school!

Let's be real, the idea of veganism is not one that comes with a positive connotation, take it from a girl who loves a good burger just as much as the next person! However, after getting exposed to some information regarding factory farming and the effects animal agriculture has on our planet I decided to take on the challenge of becoming vegan. The things I have learned in just the past month continue to amaze me so, ya know, it'd only fair that I share my knowledge with you.

1. I do not miss meat.

Tofu, tempeh, and bread fill those cravings very well.

2. I am not always hungry.

Since fruits and veggies are lower in calories than meat and dairy products, you can eat so much more of them for the same amount of calories! Which in turn, fills you up more.

3. Animals are responsible for 51% of greenhouse gas emissions.

Everyone is concerned with the amount of greenhouse gasses that are put out by vehicles, but that doesn't nearly compare to the gas emissions of animals.

4. I have saved the lives of 30 animals.

Everyday of being vegan saves the life of one animal!

5. Eating out isn't a pain.

Many restaurants have great salads, veggie burgers, veggie side dishes, pastas and the list goes on!

6. People will always ask questions.

How do you get your protein? Aren't you always hungry? What do you eat? Can you eat anything?

7. People will always criticize your choice.

People will say it's not healthy for you or that humans are meant to be carnivores, but my stance on this is that if my choice to be vegan doesn't affect you, you shouldn't worry about it!

8. Vegan burgers are just as delicious as meat burgers.

Have you ever had a black bean burger? How about a chickpea and corn burger? If not, take my advice and try one as soon as possible.

9. I have saved 33,000 gallons of water.

So much water is used in the production of animal meat that turning vegan saves 1,100 pounds of water a day simply by not eating animal products.

10. Oreos are vegan.

Score 1 for vegans.

11. Chocolate syrup is also vegan.

Chocolate soy milk anyone?

12. Vegetables aren't gross.

Have you ever had roasted cauliflower? To die for!

13. 80% of antibiotics in the world are for animal use.

With the concern about diseases and antibiotics reaching more poor countries, I feel that some of these antibiotics that are used on animals could be better used, oh ya know, on people?

14. You lose weight without really trying when turning vegan.

I take in less calories simply because I am eating nutrient dense food with a lower calorie count, which results in weight loss.

15. Eating plant based foods gives you so much more energy.

Take it from someone who took naps religiously before becoming vegan, and now wakes up at nine in the morning on a daily basis. Trust me, I wouldn't lie to you about something as important as sleep.

16. There is more protein in a serving of broccoli than a serving of meat.

Crazy right?!

17. Factory farms produce more than 50% of all food animals in the U.S.

When I really thought about it, I did not like the idea of my animal products coming from a place where animals aren't even given the chance of being treated humanely.

18. Being vegan is not more expensive than a normal diet.

Check it! "Forget Saving the Planet: Being a Vegetarian Is Cheaper Than Eating Meat"

19. Meat consumption increases the risk for cancer by a ton.

Like, an actual ton. Like, increasing the chance of colon cancer by 300% worth of a ton.

20. I feel like I am actually doing something to help the world.

Turning vegan started as a health thing because college had turned me to really bad food habits. After what I have learned about the food industry however, I don't see myself ever being able to return to a standard American diet ever again because, if anything, I care about my body too much to put so many chemicals in it.