20 Things I've Learned After 20 Years

20 Things I've Learned After 20 Years

Every year, you learn something new.

2
20 Things I've Learned After 20 Years

After 20 years of living.. you learn a few things. Here's what I've learned over the past 20 years.

1. High school and college are two VERY different worlds. In high school, everyone cares what you do, say, and think. In college, you ride a scooter across campus wearing a blanket, and nobody cares.

2. You will learn something new from every person you meet. One of my best friends taught me how to truly listen to someone. Another taught me how to laugh at the little things in life.

3. Confidence is key. If you trip and fall.. laugh it off, and nobody will laugh at you. If you hear someone whispering about you.. hold your head high and laugh it off. It really won't matter in a week from now.

4. Stop caring what other people think. Honestly, as long as you're happy living your life, you have no reason to even pay attention to what other people say about you. It won't do you any good.

5. As you get older... you realize that what you really truly want for Christmas isn't something that can be bought. Good friends, a healthy relationship, a solid relationship with your family.. these are the things that matter.

6. Do what you love. When it comes to choosing a career.. don't think about the money you'll make. Just don't. It won't matter if you're miserable going to work every day. Choose something you're passionate about.

7. You will doubt yourself. It happens to the best of us. But pick yourself up, hold your head high and don't let those doubts consume you.

8. Push yourself. Do something that you usually wouldn't do. If anything, it'll make a great story someday.

9. Like above.. do something that scares you. At the end of the day, you'll be glad you did.

10. Embarrassing moments make great stories. Laugh it off, and think of how you'll tell your friends in a few years when the embarrassment wears off.

11. Don't let your limitations hold you back. Learn to live with them, and don't let them stop you.

12. Family is everything. Don't forget that. Obviously, don't hold on to toxic relationships.. but your family will be there for you and love you unconditionally when you feel that nobody else does.

13. Be patient. It's most definitely not always easy (!) but it'll be worth it in the end.

14. Smile. Lots. Not only will people pick up on the good vibes, but it'll make it easier to make friends, and it'll help you feel happier day to day.

15. Don't give up.. but know when to call it quits. Make sure you've done absolutely everything in your power to help yourself do whatever you need to do, but don't kill yourself trying to do it. If it's not worth it, or just not working for ya, know when to call it quits.

16. You will get your heart broken. And no, it won't be easy. But pick yourself back up, and remember that there are better people out there. It'll all be okay.

17. Love life. Seriously. Sit in the sunshine. Watch a thunderstorm roll in. Take selfies with your friends. Eat a cookie. Do what makes you happy, and live life to the fullest (as cliché as that might sound).

18. When someone puts you down.. it's not the end of the world. Yeah, it'll feel like it. But I promise, it's not. They're not worth being upset over, and they're not worth your time if they're just going to be rude. Move on. It'll be okay.

19. Relationships are a two-way street. Whether it's a friendship, romantic relationship, or otherwise.. it has to work both ways. You can't maintain a relationship all by yourself; the other person has to put in effort, too. If they're not? Walk away. There are plenty of other people who value your time and effort.

20. Be happy. Really:) Yes, it'll be hard sometimes, and yeah, life doesn't always go the way you want it to. But in the end, being happy is much more fun. :)