20 Things I've Learned In My 20 Years On This Earth

As my time as a twenty-year-old slowly approaches its end, I've decided to reflect on everything I've learned throughout my life.

I've narrowed down the most important life lessons I've encountered in my twenty years on this earth that I wish I would've learned sooner.

1. Love more. Hate less.

Take time to tell people how much you love them; don't wait. I know it's super popular among angsty teens to declare their hatred towards their parents but trust me when I say this: just don't.

2. Never be embarrassed of your parents.

Someone said this to me years ago and it's stuck with me ever since. Don't be embarrassed of your parents and push them away because you'll only regret it.

3. Take what others say with a grain of salt.

People will say and do whatever they want and there's nothing you can do to change that. What you can do is control how it affects you.

4. Go out to eat by yourself.

For some reason, this seemed to be such a foreign concept

5. Don't let your fears stop you from living.

I know it's harder said than done, but once you stop letting your fears control you, you'll start actually living.

6. Ask your cashier or waiter or whomever how they are and mean it.

They are people too.

7. Don't skip out on family gatherings.

I know you'd probably rather be doing something else, but you're going to want to have these memories when you're older.

8. It's O.K. to make mistakes.

I absolutely hate making mistakes, but I promise it is essential to life.

9. Always use manners and be kind.

It's not hard to be polite.

10. You're allowed to have a day.

If you need to take time to step back and just breath, just do it.

11. Forgive.

Don't waste time holding grudges. The only person it will hurt is yourself.

12. Step out of your comfort zone as often as you can.

Whether this means trying a new food or cutting your hair; go for it.

13. It's possible to outgrow some friendships

While it may seem like the be-all-end-all, but I swear it isn't.

14. There is life outside of school.

Yes, I know that academics are very important but don't let it keep you from experiencing life.

15. Take opportunities.

Don't hesitate because you might miss out on a once in a lifetime chance.

16. Be grateful.

Sometimes we forget how blessed we are, but try to stay conscious of it.

17. Don't change for anyone.

If someone loves you, they love the real you.

18. You can be kind without being a pushover.

Just because your a nice person doesn't mean that you can't stand up for yourself.

19. Learn to control your anger.

Yes, there are plenty of things that could upset you each day. But not everything is worth spending time on.

20. You have a purpose.

I may not always seem like it, but God created you for a reason. Don't ever forget that.