20 Things You Call Your Mom For After You Leave Home

There are times when you really need her advice and times you really don't, but you call either way.

53

1. "Can you call and make a doctors appointment for me?"

Even though I know my schedule availability better than you, I still want you to do it. Besides, what better person to have the doctor talk to than the person who has been to every visit with me?

2. "How exactly do I use bleach again?"

I know you told me not to buy that white shirt because I am incapable of keeping white clean but hypothetically speaking, what do I do if I were to ever spill tea all down the front of it?

3. "Is it okay if I eat this? Or will I die?"

I can see that the label says it expired three days ago but is that like set in stone or is there a grace period? I mean, it doesn't smell bad or anything...

4. "Do you remember that test I told you I forgot to study for, well... I passed it!"

I get it, I can't do this for every exam, but can you just take a moment to appreciate the fact that I managed to get a "B" with no prior knowledge on the subject.

5. "I have a runny nose, I'm congested, and I keep getting chills... am I dying?"

So you are saying this is a common cold, are you sure? Because I'll have you know, if this is something worse and I let it go untreated I. Will. Die.

6. "Is it that bad if I drop out of college?

Yes, I know, education is important and all but what if it is deteriorating my health? What if "C"'s don't get degrees after all? Is all this crying worth it?

7. "Did you see *insert name* is engaged/ having a baby?!"

I can't believe it either! It's like it was just yesterday that we all graduated high school and now here they are, starting their life. What? No, I still don't have a boyfriend and no, I am nowhere near ready to have kids yet... thanks for asking... again.

8. "What should I eat for dinner"

Is it really that unhealthy to eat Mac N' Cheese for every meal? If so, is there any science behind that finding? Can you just bring me some of your food?

9. "Can I have your recipe for that? Also, can you please walk me through it step by step?"

You know as well as I do that I can't cook, but before you remind me of all the burnt food scenarios you should know that I'm having company over and I'm trying to impress them. So, tell me one more time how I am suppose to know when the chicken is done?

10. "I'm almost positive I have a flat tire... what now?"

I realize that I should probably be calling AAA right now instead of you, who lives an hour away and knows nothing about cars, but it just feels right to call you first. Don't worry, they are my next dial but first, do you have the number for that?

11. "We just broke up"

Are you sure it's not because I'm ugly? Are you just saying that because you're my mother? I know you always tell me that I deserve better so..do you know where I can find him?

*Because there are times when you need someone to tell you that you are a beautiful intelligent human being that should be treated like the queen you are...and actually mean it.

12. "I just saw the cutest puppy I have ever seen in my entire life and I think it needs me"

I get it, there are times when I can barely take care of myself but I think I can handle it. Wait... how often did you say puppies have to pee again? Never mind.

13. "I just found a new apartment and I think I'm going to sign the lease but before I do, can I read you what it says and you tell me if it sounds like a good deal?"

I understand that you have no legal background but I feel as if your life experiences has given you enough knowledge on the subject that you can guide me in the right direction. So, I ask the leasing manager what again? If the late fees are per day or?

14. "Do you think you can put some money into my account"

Pay day isn't for another week and I can't stretch the five dollars I have left in my pocket any further. I can offer to pay you back but we both know I probably won't, it's the thought that counts though, right?

15. "Is $2.99 too much for a bag of grapes?"

You always bought them for me so I never realized that they were this much for like 6 single grapes. Speaking of which, I'm sorry for all the times I let them rot in the produce drawer of our fridge.

16. "Does this sound okay or should I word it differently?"

This email is going to my professor therefore I'm going to need you to be 110% certain. So, I'm going to ask you one more time, does this sound scholarly or should I just go talk to him in person?

17. "How do I fill out this insurance form?"

What all shots have I gotten? Do I have any known allergies? Have I ever had chicken pox? Why do they need to know all this? Also, what kind of cancer did grandma have again?

18. "What's your amazon password"

I would use mine but my free student trial has already expired and I'm not trying to pay extra for two day shipping when I can just use your account and get it for free.

19. "What is the quickest way to get rid of a hangover"

Asking for a friend here. Say the night started with tequila and ended with them passing out on the street, what is the best way to reverse those damages? Is it legal to give yourself an IV for hydration? Can you give an IV for hydration?

20. "Have I told you lately that you're the best mom out there and that I miss you?"

Because If I haven't, allow me to do it now. I couldn't ask for a better mother and advice giver, I love you.