This Is For All The 20-Somethings

This Is For All The 20-Somethings

On all the overwhelming college days.

8
This Is For All The 20-Somethings
tumblr

It's not until you're diving deep into the experiences of your early twenties; asking yourself all the questions your family members hound you with every holiday or family gathering. Each time you're presented with, "So what are you going to do after college?" You turn on that charm—you know, the charm you've been perfecting since you were three years old, and you give them some elaborate "save the world" speech. But in the back of your mind, you're running out of fool-proof ideas and hoping no one asks how you're going to get started.

Meanwhile, your graduation date has been delayed, your friends are graduating, staring their own companies, getting job offers, and accepting marriage proposals. Your peers are moving through life and moving quickly. How do you handle the pressure when it seems like everyone is whizzing past you?

Stop comparing yourself to your peers. There is no one correct path in life, you will not complete your journey to success the same way someone else did. We tend to get caught up in the labels society has deemed appropriate for us. We get stuck in a box or category that we don't even recall choosing for ourselves. We often forgot that we can sport more than one so-called "label." We don't have to be what society tells us we need to be or exactly what mom and dad want us to be.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate all the advice and guidance the people around me provide. But there came a time when I had to learn how to be inspired by them without copying. The more you compare yourself to someone else, you fuel your fear of failure, and your feelings of inadequacy. Keep comparing where you are, to where you want to be and you will surely get nowhere. The more you entertain these absurd comparisons, you will find yourself stuck. Accept the fact that your path is unique and so are your obstacles.

Find your passion. Write it down, map it out, put your plan into action and see it through. Even if your dreams make you "weird," chase them. Henry David Thoreau tell us "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." This simple quote should unleash a certain fervor inside of you. The only way to approach your dreams is confidently. In this confidence you begin to become the person you are truly meant to be.Your goals and aspirations will only come to fruition if they are simply your own and no one else's. Respond to every call that excites your spirit.