20 Resolutions To Help the Environment this New Year

This year, make resolutions that not only help yourself, but the planet as well.

2
Lifehack

Are you looking for a New Year's resolution? Well, you've come to the right place. Instead of making resolutions that only help you this year, try adding some that help out the planet as well. These are simple and easy changes that you can easily incorporate into your daily routine that can make a major impact when applied on a mass scale.

This year, try to:

1. Recycle

For starters, if you don't recycle, it's time to start. This is a simple, yet effective, way to make an impact.

2. Cut back Your Meat Consumption

In terms of diet, deciding to cut back or completely remove meat from your diet is a fantastic way to help the environment. If you're feeling extra adventurous, adopt a vegan diet. Not only will you reduce your impact on the environment, but you'll literally be saving lives.

3. Carpool to Work

Do your coworkers live near you? Why not save gas money and ride together?

4. Ride Your Bike or Walk Whenever Possible

Cycling is perfect because it'll both reduce your carbon footprint and keep you in shape.

5. Try Public Transportation

It's cheap, you'll save gas money, and you'll help the environment

6. Buy a Reusable Coffee Cup

This not only limits your container waste, but many places often offer a discount.

7. Reuse Containers

Instead of throwing out your used takeout containers, try to reuse them or buy your own reusable containers.

8. Bring Your Own Bag

While it is a task to remember to bring your own bags every time you go shopping, it significantly decreases your impact on the environment. If you'd rather the plastic bags, at least try to reuse those.

9. Buy A Water Filter

This will help you reduce your plastic waste instead of purchasing water bottles. It'll also save you money.

10. Use Energy-Efficient Lightbulbs

This is a simple step that'll save you both energy and money.

11. Use Cruise Control When Driving

Save gas; save money: It's a win, win.

12. Shop Locally

Not only are you supporting your area and local business owners, but you're reducing your carbon footprint by reducing the need for transportation.

13. Turn the Lights Off

This is an easy way to conserve energy and save money on your electric bill.

14. Pay Your Bills Online

The less paper waste, the better.

15. Unplug Your Devices Whenever Possible

Conserve energy whenever you can.

16. Plant a Tree

Don't do that now; it's snowing.

17. Donate Clothes and Unused Items

If you're not going to use them, someone else might as well.

18. Join an Environment Group

Strength in numbers.

19. UpCycle

Turn your unused items into something worthwhile, rather than throwing them out.

20. Waste Less Food

It is important to understand expiration dates and if possible, donate the food you cannot eat. Food production requires a lot of energy, so it is important not to waste it.

This year, make resolutions that not only help you, but also the planet as well. Make 2017 the year that you change your habits to positively impact the environment.