20 Reasons To Visit Texas

20 Reasons To Visit Texas

Texas forever.

3086
20 Reasons To Visit Texas
Francis Martinez

Texas.

My home. My favorite. My true love.

There is a reason why Texas natives have a tendency to brag about their home state. And why wouldn't we? Texas is simply one of the best states -- if not the best state -- out of all 50. Here's why:

1.Bluebonnet season makes for pretty pictures

If you’re from Texas, then you most likely know that Ennis is known as the “Bluebonnet City of Texas” and Chappell Hill’s Historical Society Bluebonnet Festival is the state's official Bluebonnet Festival. These flowers are absolutely gorgeous and perfect for taking pictures. You’ll have Facebook, Twitter and Instagram pictures to post for days!

2. State Fair of Texas

If you’re looking to find a fried Oreo or fried butter, then the State Fair of Texas is where you need to go. The State Fair is known for its variety of very diverse foods, rides, games and shows all across the United States. Make sure to take the classic pic in front of Big Tex.

3. ACL (Austin City Limits) & SXSW (South by Southwest)

These two festivals are attended by people from all over the world who come together for a collection of music, art, film and everything else in between. It’s a time for artists and lovers of all these things to come together and show the world what they are capable of. Sit back and enjoy the fun and festivities.

4. River walk in San Antonio.

The river walk in San Antonio sits a story beneath the streets of San Antonio’s downtown. It is filled with restaurants, shops and bars, so there’s a little bit of everything for everyone. It’s a San Antonio tourist staple and a must visit for anyone that is in the city.

5. Historical sites

Texas is full of historical sites. All you have to do is pick the one that interests you the most and go from there! Visit the Sixth Floor Museum in Dallas to see where the late JFK was assassinated. The Alamo in San Antonio and the San Antonio Missions are just a few more of the many sites that you can visit.

6. Nightlife

Dallas (downtown is the place to be on weekends) and Austin (6th Street, anyone?) are renowned for the nightclubs and bars that host events and artists throughout the year. They also hold special events and deals during the holidays, so make sure that these cities are on your destination route.

7. Tex-Mex

Food. Mexican food with a touch of Texas, what more could you want? Chips and queso and salsa, fajitas for days and extra guac will fill you up like no other cuisine. Because Texas shares a border with Mexico, it’s easy to see how the food would be influenced. In Texas, you’re never far from a restaurant with delicious tex-mex.

8. Fort Worth Stockyards

If you’re looking to experience Texas at its roots then you should definitely make a pit stop in Fort Worth for their amazing stockyards. The Stockyards are a staple of Texas and represent the Lone Star state to the tee. Cattle, horses, southern food and décor, plus a rich history -- the stockyards are bound to impress y’all.

9. Root for its sports teams

Dallas Mavericks, Texas Rangers, Dallas Stars, Houston Dynamo, San Antonio Spurs, Dallas Cowboys -- these are all amazing sports teams that offer great spectator events and games for those with a love of the sport.

10. Beaches

Take a break on the coast of Texas and visit the beaches down in Galveston and South Padre Island. These two places will never disappoint. You will most definitely enjoy basking in the sun while the ocean washes your worries away.

11. Big Bend National Park

National parks are hugely underrated and should be made known to the greater American population. These parks are filled with hidden treasures and breathtaking scenes that offer once-in-a-lifetime views. Big Bend National Park is no exception.

12. Mountains

Feeling adventurous? Well, Texas has mountains that are just waiting for groups to go hiking and enjoy the adventures they have to offer. You are bound to run into some wildlife as well, so be sure to on the lookout.

13. Six Flags Over Texas

This amusement park is known worldwide for its insane rides and for having cartoon characters walking around the park for some great photo ops. Make sure to visit and check out the rides and food, there's fun for people of all ages!

14. Great colleges

Texas is home to a lot of great colleges and universities, both public and private. Texas Tech in Lubbock, Texas A&M in College Station, University of Texas in the state capitol of Austin, as well as SMU in Dallas and Rice University in Houston -- and these are only a few of the great schools in Texas. These schools are known across the nation for their academics, sports programs and many other great resources available to students.

15. Home to great urban districts

It goes without saying that despite the southern influence and cowboy stereotypes, Texas is also home to a lot of great and up and-coming urban districts. Dallas and Austin are two of the Texas cities that boast a variety of museums, music events and theatres, as well as many art pieces and exhibitions throughout their downtown districts.

16. State of origin of some of the music industry’s biggest names

Tejano queen Selena, Beyoncé, Miranda Lambert, Kelly Clarkson and Usher are just a few of the big-name music artists who hail from the great lone star state. They rep the Texan name loud and proud, just like any proud Texan does. Their success and stardom all began here in their great state of origin: Texas.

17. Great places to road trip to

Texas is one of the biggest states in the United States, which means that road trips even within the state are a must. Route 66 and Cascade Caverns are just two examples of road trip destinations. On these trips, you’ll also most likely find hidden Texas treasures, such as family-owned diners with impeccable food and great little stores.

18. Best places to shop

Because Texas is home to a wide variety of people and a diverse group of cultures, there is an abundance of both homemade and high-end shops and boutiques. There are a couple of big outlets in outlying towns near Texas’ big name cities. You can pretty much find anything you are looking for at some store or another in the state.

19. Go two-stepping at a honky tonk

To country’s biggest superstars, country line dancing would be considered a regular night out on the town here in Texas. Don’t know how to step? Well, that’s absolutely fine because more likely than not, there will be plenty of people who will be more than happy to show some southern hospitality and teach you. Tip: Wear cowboy boots.

20. Everything is bigger in Texas

The food (and the serving sizes), the events, the art and architecture and even the people are larger than life here. The state itself is astoundingly large. What more could a person want?

Without a doubt, the lone star state should be on your list of places to visit. The sooner the better! See y'all soon!