20 Reasons The Class Of #ATU20 Should Consider Going Greek

Could gaining a sisterhood benefit you even after college?

3
Arkansas Tech

For the class of #ATU20, fall is just around the corner and it's already time to consider all the different ways to get involved on campus. There are literally over 100 ways to get involved on campus and going Greek is just one of many, but joining a sisterhood is so much more than just mixers and T-shirts.

Here are 20 reasons to consider going through Panhellenic Recruitment:

1. You find a group of women who share your values.

This is a really important reason to consider going Greek. If you find a group of people who are willing to keep you accountable and push you to be the best possible version of yourself, you should really think about taking them up on it.

2. You want to get involved on campus.

Greek life at Tech participates in many events on campus, making it a fabulous way to get involved on campus.

3. You want to gain leadership experience.

If you want experience being a leader, there is plenty to learn in Greek life. Between Executive boards, the College Panhellenic Council and the Greek Programming Board, there are plenty of ways to grow as a leader and make a difference. A sorority is also a wonderful place to learn how to be a team player, which is just as important as learning to lead.

4. You want to gain networking experience.

Networking is a skill that will benefit you long after you graduate. Learning how to present yourself and reach out to others in a professional manner can help you land jobs after graduation.

5. You want to meet new people.

Joining a sorority not only gives you many sisters, as well as hundreds to thousands around the globe, but it also helps you meet new people both inside and out of the Greek community.

6. You want to find ways to give back to an organization you are passionate about.

There are many ways to get involved, both inside your sorority and out. Service hours also help you give back to your choice of organizations.

7. You want to participate in service projects.

Sororities contribute to both local and national philanthropies. This makes it the perfect way to give back and help make a difference while you still attend our university.

8. You want to learn life skills.

Between leadership skills, learning how to be a functioning member of an organization and gaining a better picture of who you are and who you want to become, there is plenty of life skills to be learned in a Greek organization.

9. You want to cultivate your social skills.

Between planning and participating in events and meetings, your social skills will be put to the test. You learn skills that help you learn how to be a young professional, who is ready to tackle "the real world."

10. You want to become a part of something bigger than yourself.

Not only will you become a member of your collegiate chapter, but you become a part of the legacy that has lasted for hundreds of years, since your organization's founding, and gain a legacy that can be passed on to your future daughters and granddaughters.

11. You are interested in more scholarship opportunists.

Most sororities offer scholarship opportunities and special recognition to their members who are academic achievers.

12. You are looking for a resume builder.

Many employers know that Greek students are high achievers. Between organizing fundraisers for your philanthropy, and holding various positions in the Greek community, going Greek can be a significant boost to a just-out-of-college resume.

13. You want to give back to your community.

While on campus, it's easy to forget about the large community of Russellville surrounding it. Greek organizations at ATU help support the needs of the community, with events like Greeks Give Back, a food drive that benefits the food pantries of local elementary schools. Members of Greek organizations are also required to gain service hours from volunteering at their choice of non-profit organizations.

14. You want a hazing free Greek experience.

Tech has a no tolerance policy for hazing. This allows the sorority experience to remain a positive one. Sisterhood is built on love, trust and shared values. There is no room for hazing in our Greek organizations.

15. You want to make higher grades.

Tech's Greek community excels inside and out of the classroom. With so many sisters, it's easy to find someone willing to help you with a difficult class.

16. You want to gain time management skills.

It's difficult to manage and find balance between school, work and friends in college. Having extra events to add to your schedule can be challenging, but rewarding. It really teaches you to have good time management skills and make use of a planner.

17. You want to make friendships that will last a lifetime.

As cliche as it sounds, there is a lot of truth in statements like, "It's not four years. It's for life." The bonds you make with your sisters during these college years don't dissolve after you graduate.

18. You want to break through (or don't mind) the stereotypes.

Sadly, sorority girls must often face stereotypes. They might be that you don't care about your education, or that you refuse to hang out with anyone whose not Greek. These pictures people have in their heads about sorority girls are not likely to change very easily. Most of them prove to extremely far from the truth, while others (like loving Starbucks and having some mad crafting skills), might not. It's important to realize that you don't need to fit into some mold to be in a sorority. I'm sorry, but yes, Hollywood has lied to you. We are not all Elle Woods wannabes.

19. You want to grow as a person.

Sorority life teaches you how to be a friend, be a mentor, be a leader and be a team player. You learn how to be a young professional and how to better prepare for your future career. You also make mistakes and learn from them. You gain experiences, some good, some bad, and how you deal with them helps determine the person you are going to be.

20. You want to find a home away from home.

College can be a scary place. It's nice to have a support system even if your family is hundreds of miles away.

So class of 2020, or anyone else looking for new opportunities, joining a sorority is a great way to get involved and volunteer, and do new things, but going Greek is certainly not for everyone. It's important to think about why you want to go Greek. The answer should not be frat boys or gaining popularity. It's about striving to become a better person and preparing for the future. It's about sisterhood. I wish you the best of luck as you start your college journey, and I urge you to get involved on campus, whether that is through Greek Life, your major or Quidditch club. (Yep. It exists.)