20 Random Facts I Keep In My Back Pocket

A comprehensive list of weird things that are cool to know

147
Public Domain Pictures

I am the queen of knowing a bunch of obscure facts that have no practical impact on my life, besides allowing me to say “I know a bunch of really weird, random facts.” I use them as icebreakers, to entertain my friends and all kinds of other things. So here are 20 facts that have no use except to allow you to say you know them.

1. There is a planet covered entirely with ice. Oh, and it’s also on fire.

How can a planet be made of ice and also be on fire? Gravity, that’s why. It’s so strong on Gliese 436 b that it compresses all the water vapor into an icy shell around the planet. Although, you wouldn’t want to touch this ice. You’d need a new hand.

2. The Greek philosopher Plato won the Olympic gold medal for wrestling three times.

In fact, his real name was Aristocles. Plato was a well-known nickname that roughly translates to mean “broad.” No wonder he brought home the gold.

3. Coke’s recipe was originally green but the designers made it brown to look more like tea

4. People used to throw beehives at where they thought enemies were hidden in order to expose them

5. A fish and game warden, Terry Grosz used to catch illegal fishers by waiting in the Eel River in a wetsuit and reeling himself in when the fishermen cast their lines.

6. Elephants know the difference between human language.

They remember which languages are spoken by people who have hunted them in the past, and avoid people they hear speaking those languages.

Read more about it!: https://www.livescience.com/44030-elephants-identi...

7. Historically, the bride and bridesmaids would dress identically in heavy veils in order to confuse evil spirits.

Only at the last minute would the true bride reveal herself. Take that, demons.

Read more about it: http://mentalfloss.com/article/57821/21-historical...

8. Corgis are one of the only small dog breeds that can herd cattle — they’re too short to be kicked easily, if at all.

9. Huskies and corgis are cousins.

Just think for a moment how ridiculous that is. Imagine being a 1-foot tall herding dog showing up for a family reunion and your cousin, who is a taller version of you that pulls sleds.

10. The Nightmare Before Christmas was a stop-motion movie that required 13 animators.

Furthermore, over 400 distinct Jack Skellington heads were used

11. Mummies are rare because we ate them.

Read more about it!: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/the-gruesom...

12. Archeologists will lick bones in order to differentiate them from rocks.

Hence why we know a creature dug up in Russia tastes like almonds.

Read more about it!:https://www.indy100.com/article/stellers-sea-cow-r...

13. Oscar Wilde was 6’3

“I guess that’s tall” you might think. But Oscar Wilde lived in a time where the average height for Irish men was 5’5. Oscar Wilde wasn’t tall. He was giant.

14. Sara Bareilles wrote “Love Song” to her record label, not a significant other

What happens when you push Sara Bareilles to write a love song is you get an f*** you in song form instead.

15. Cows are about 300 times more likely to kill you than coyotes.

Then again, it isn’t common for people to keep several hundred coyotes on their property and handle them routinely.

16. A sprinting bear can run as fast as a galloping horse.

17. The reason rain falls in drops rather than all at once is because we have air resistance. If we didn’t, rain would come down so fast it could kill us.

18. The Teletubbies are 10 ft tall

Oscar Wilde has nothing on these crazy sons of a gun.

Read more about it!: https://www.thesun.co.uk/living/2982447/teletubbie...

19. There are no bridges over the Amazon river.

20. Titan is Saturn’s largest moon and is also the only known moon to have an atmosphere.

Hopefully, you've learned something from this list and will use it to continue blowing minds.