20 Quotes To Live By In Your Twenties

20 Quotes To Live By In Your Twenties

We cling to music and to quotes because we desperately do not want to be alone.

98
Pexels.com

We cling to music and to quotes because we desperately do not want to be alone. We want to know we aren't going crazy and that there is someone out there that is feeling the same feelings we are. It's like they know exactly how we are feeling and that makes it more comfortable to deal with whatever we are feeling. Because, truly, we realize we aren't the only ones suffering with our deep thoughts.

I started writing quotes down when I was in high school for myself to look back on whenever I felt incomplete and frustrated. Most of the quotes that I have read have always reflected how I felt at that moment or time period in my life.

These are just a few out of the many quotes I've written down for myself to look at whenever I'm feeling mad at myself, when I overthink too much, when I cry and even when I feel happy or inspired. A simple quote can instantly create a huge impact on not only your day, but on you as well.

Here are 20 quotes that I have lived by since high school and continue to live by starting my twenties.

1. "You have to be the kind of person who can make the best out of a Tuesday. You know those people who live for the weekends? They’re wishing their life away. You have to find something worth living for or else you’ll look back and realize you’ve wasted your life away."

— Drew Marvin, English Teacher

2. “You can be the most beautiful person in the world and everybody sees light and rainbows when they look at you, but if you yourself don't know it, all of that doesn't even matter. Every second that you spend on doubting your worth, every moment that you use to criticize yourself; is a second of your life wasted, is a moment of your life thrown away. It's not like you have forever, so don't waste any of your seconds, don't throw even one of your moments away.”

— C. JoyBell C.

3. "Suddenly you’re 21 and you’re screaming along in the car to all the songs you listened to when you were sad in middle school and everything is different but everything is good."

Anonymous

4. "Dwell on the beauty of life. Watch the stars, and see yourself running with them."

— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

5. "My whole life is the one episode of Friends where Ross drinks all those margaritas and keeps telling everyone that he's fine when he clearly isn’t fine."

Anonymous

6.

"I learned that things seem big in the moment
Yet as time passes they become small
And it always ends up the way expected
Though realistic call
I learned that words can and do go far
Yet the worst are the ones left unsaid
I learned that we all have demons
Not just the ones hidden in our beds
I learned temptation is no sin
And it does hurt to wait
I learned that reality can hit you fast
Though from a distance it may seem faint
I learned about how letting go
Is harder than it seems
I learned that not all nightmares
Lay rest in people’s dreams
I learned that much of happiness
Relies on one’s own fear
I learned that nothing changes at all
It’s all just you, dear."

— (d.r.)

7. "Your feelings are valid. You have every right to feel whatever emotion you want. You aren’t being dramatic. You aren’t over exaggerating. You’re feeling. And that’s okay."

Anonymous

8. "Sometimes you tell someone to never call you again and then the phone rings and you hope it’s them. It’s the most twisted logic of all time."

— John Mayer

9. "There are only two days in your lifetime that aren’t 24 hours long."

— Anonymous

10. "And kid, you’ve got to love yourself. You’ve got wake up at four in the morning, brew black coffee, and stare at the birds drowning in the darkness of the dawn. You’ve got to sit next to the man at the train station who’s reading your favorite book and start a conversation. You’ve got to come home after a bad day and burn your skin from a shower. Then you’ve got to wash all your sheets until they smell of lemon detergent you bought for four dollars at the local grocery store. You’ve got to stop taking everything so goddam personally. You are not the moon kissing the black sky. You’ve got to compliment someones crooked brows at an art fair and tell them that their eyes remind you of green swimming pools in mid July. You’ve got to stop letting yourself get upset about things that won’t matter in two years. Sleep in on Saturday mornings and wake yourself up early on Sunday. You’ve got to stop worrying about what you’re going to tell her when she finds out. You’ve got to stop over thinking why he stopped caring about you over six months ago. You’ve got to stop asking everyone for their opinions. Fuck it. Love yourself, kiddo. You’ve got to love yourself."

Anonymous

11. "We are dying from overthinking. We are slowly killing ourselves by thinking about everything. Think. Think. Think. You can never trust the human mind anyway. It’s a death trap."

— Anthony Hopkins

12.

"1. Lay on the floor of your shower until you can breathe again. Water will always love to love your skin.

2. Start writing with the intention of filling up one page. Write until your pen stops working.

3. Reread a book that once made you cry. Learn something new on every page. Notice how different chapters make you sad. Notice how the book didn’t change and grow; you did.

4. Sleep with your windows open. You can hear both the rain and boys drunkenly singing Frank Sinatra on their deck. Both are equally good.

5. Don’t forget that honey will always taste sweet, but the best way to eat it is off your fingers, laughing.

6. Remember that, sometimes, getting out of bed is enough."

— (h.f.j.), For Unhappy Girls Who Like Sitting In The Sun.

13. "The years between eighteen and twenty-eight are the hardest, psychologically. It’s then you realize this is make or break, you no longer have the excuse of youth, and it is time to become an adult - but you are not ready."

Anonymous

14. "We mature with the damage, not with the years."

— Mateus William

15. "You don’t meet people by accident."

Anonymous

16.

"Try to say nothing negative about anybody.
a) for three days
b) for forty-five days
c) for three months

See what happens to your life."

— Yoko Ono, Cleaning Piece III

17. "Live in such a way that if someone spoke badly of you, no one would believe it."

— Anonymous

18. "Sometimes, it’s easier to tell a stranger something very personal. It's like there’s less risk, opening yourself up to someone who doesn’t know you."

Linwood Barclay

19. "People seem to think embracing life means to jump off cliffs and kiss strangers. Maybe it’s just slowly learning to love yourself."

— Anonymous

20. "Go for a drive at midnight and forget you have school the next day. Stop waiting for Friday. Live now. Do it now. Take risks. Tell secrets. Dream big and fight for what you believe in. This life is yours. When are you going to realize that you can do whatever you want?"

— Anonymous