20 Lessons I Learned By Age 20

20 Lessons I Learned By Age 20

I'm not a teenager anymore!

95
20 Lessons I Learned By Age 20
Morgan Hume

Now that I've officially blown out the candles and opened all the presents, it is finally sinking in that I am beginning a new decade of my life: my twenties. Of course, I am looking forward to the future. I am excited for the memories and laughs, as well as the challenges and hardships that are to come throughout the next ten years. However, I can't think and plan for the future without acknowledging my past. My teenage days weren't exactly smooth sailing, but I'm thankful for the valuable lessons I learned along the way:

1. Best friends may not be best friends forever

Sometimes friends, even your closest ones, are toxic. You may not realize it immediately, but after a fight or falling out, you remember all the times they brought you down, made you feel dumb, or made you feel bad for being who you are. Get rid of the negative energy and don't be afraid to completely start over. Everyone needs a clean slate once in a while and not all friendships are meant to last.

2. Write everything down

This year, I started keeping a diary. I have fallen in love with writing down my thoughts and feelings, as well as the things I did that day. By keeping a diary, I don't feel like I'm annoying anyone with my endless rambling. It's also a good place to vent feelings and frustrations. Also it's something cool to have in the future so you can look back on the past and see how much you've changed over time.

3. "Likes" on social media are not important

I see people obsess over how many likes their photo gets on Instagram and I think it's pathetic. Sure, it's nice to be able to see who saw your post and to receive friendly comments. However, some people spend hours editing a selfie and analyzing every pixel. If you like a photo and want the world to see it, simply post it. "Likes" don't define if you're pretty or a good photographer.

4. Adventure can be found abroad or in your own backyard

I've traveled throughout Europe and the United States. I've also explored my hometown of Troy, New York and my college campus in Boston, Massachusetts. Whether you're three miles or three thousand miles from home, adventure is out there! There is always something new to see and every new experience should be valued, no matter how far away you are from home.

5. Treat your body with respect

Hit the gym, wash your face, drink water, eat as best as you can. There were points throughout the year where I felt sluggish and unmotivated, but once I started taking care of my body the way it deserves, I felt better. Life gets busy and distractions will constantly flow in and out, but don't forget to take care of yourself.

6. Hunt for new music

Everyone has that one song, band or album that instantly picks them up when they're having a rough day. Music is an important tool that can be used to motivate and calm you. One of my biggest hobbies is discovering new artists and creating unique playlists on Spotify. Headphones in, world out!

7. The party scene isn't "all that"

I used to think that going out on the weekends was something I had to do because I was in college and that's what all the college kids did. I was wrong. I learned that it's okay to stay in bed on a Saturday night. It's okay if you don't want to be out until 3 a.m. dancing and drinking just to get wasted. For me, it just wasn't fun and the more I did it, the less I understood why it is so hyped up.

8. Nostalgia hurts

As much as I hated high school and wanted to move out of the house as fast as possible, looking back at old photos hurts. Life was so much simpler when my biggest worries were about homework and finding a prom dress. There are days when I feel like the planet is crashing down on top of me, and I yearn to be younger again. Being an adult is hard, and I know that it is only going to get harder from here.

9. One bad grade won't kill you

In high school, I was a star student that effortlessly whizzed by with straight A's. Now, I struggle to earn a B in my introductory level math and statistics courses. It's not because I am unintelligent or neglect studying. It's because classes are more difficult in college. If you fail one test, don't panic because there are ways to fix it and professors to guide you. Take a deep breath and try better next time.

10. Keep up with the news

Whether we chose to ignore it or not, there is corruption in the world. There are politics and politicians we would rather not think about. There is violence, crime and death in every country. It's easy to turn off the news, but we shouldn't. We should be informed citizens that are able to address local, national, and global problems with educated opinions. We should recognize that every day is history in the making, and we deserve to be a part of it. Maybe this is all stemming from the fact that I am an aspiring journalist, but the news is written for everyone and should be read by everyone.

11. Pay attention to the little things

A fresh cup of coffee in the morning. Catching the sun set on the way home from work. Finishing a good book. Having a pleasant conversation with your Uber driver. Little things like these remind you that there's good in life and always a reason to smile. Don't let these moments pass by unnoticed.

12. Life is short

We have no control over our own death or when death will strike those who are close to us. It's unexpected and tragic when someone passes away, but it is our duty to keep them alive in our hearts and cherish the memories we have with them. We cannot forget them and yet we must figure out how to continue life without them.

13. Go on dates by yourself

Everyone needs to spend time alone. I don't know how someone could be around people at all times and not be driven totally insane. Everyone needs to spend time alone at least once in a while. Whether you decide to sit in a coffee shop, head to the gym, visit a museum or lounge around all day in your bedroom, don't be afraid to be by yourself. No one is judging you for it.

14. Stress and anxiety are a part of life, not all of life

It's normal to feel stressed about an agenda filled with assignments or an overloaded work schedule. If there's too much on your plate and not enough time, it's okay to get freaked out. It's also just as important to stop those anxious thoughts and feelings from taking over. let them come, deal with them in the healthiest way you can, and let them go. somethings in life are extremely stressful, but you cannot let everything in life become stressful.

15. The future will always seem scary

I used to be scared that I wouldn't get accepted into college or that I wouldn't be satisfied with whatever major I picked to pursue. Now, I worry about finding a job after graduation and paying off student loans. Someday I'll worry about finding a wedding dress that fits, and later about making sure I am prepared to raise a child. As you hurdle over one obstacle in life, there will be another one waiting for you just a little farther up the road. The future will always seem overwhelming, but you got this!

16. Develop your own style

My favorite compliment to receive is one about my outfit. I think fashion is extremely self-expressive and everyone should take the time to figure out which clothes make them feel the authentic. I am still trying to figure out who I am and how I can show that through my clothes, but it's all part of the fun. Over the last year, I've become much more comfortable with my body and am constantly craving a trip to the mall or thrift store to find new clothing items that can accentuate that.

17. Take as many photos as possible

Photos are the best ways to remember something special. Personally, I take photos of almost everything. If I'm walking home from class, I can't stop myself from taking pictures of the trees and tall buildings I walk past (even though I walk past them every day). I take photos of the sky, my feet, the subway and myself that no one will ever see. You don't have to post a photo to treasure it or make it worthwhile.

18. Explore and learn about other cultures

I've spent this year learning about cultures that are far different than my own. During my fall semester, I studied abroad and was therefore able to explore a new country every weekend. There were other times I learned about them in a classroom setting, in my intercultural communication course. It is interesting to learn about different rituals, holidays, historic landmarks, food, markets and celebrations people around the world enjoy; things I didn't know existed. Learning about another culture is extremely important because it helps you step into someone else's shoes and understand the world from a new perspective.

19. You can know a lot, but you can't know it all

I've always been a smart kid, but college has taught me that no matter how smart I become, I'll never know everything there is to know. It's impossible! Instead of trying to memorize as much information as possible, my goal now is to simply keep learning. I'm going to take as many classes, read as many books and watch as many documentaries as my brain can manage. I am also going to step outside to learn from the events and people around me.

20. A year goes by quickly

It seems like only yesterday when I was writing an article similar to this for my 19th birthday. Life goes by quickly, quicker after every year. We can't slow down time or hit a magical "pause" button, but we can appreciate the people, memories and opportunities we have in the present moment. The only thing constant in life is change, so as each year passes by, we just have to smile and roll with the punches as best we can.