20 Things I Learned Before 20

20 Things I Learned Before 20

Happy 20th to me.

20
20 Things I Learned Before 20
Etsy

My 20th birthday is coming soon on May 1st. I know that isn't necessarily old, but it's still a surprise for me that I will be out of my teens in less than a week. I have learned so much in the 20 years I've been alive. I've learned many skills and life lessons. I never thought I'd learn so much.

1. How to Speak French

I've always wanted to go to Paris, and wanted to learn French. I finally got to do this in my freshman and sophomore years of high school. I picked up on the language quickly and loved it. Not only that, but I learned some bits of Polish, Russian, and Italian in an extra activity.

2. How to Drive

I know everyone learns how to drive at some point in their lives. However, this isn't just a milestone, it's a major responsibility. There are 2 tons of sheet metal at your control, and you have to keep yourself from injuring others on the road, while trying to prevent others from injuring you. It is a necessary skill because you can't just ride your bike everywhere. That isn't safe.

3. How to Live with ADD

I've had to learn how to deal with this disorder my whole life. I come off as "high functioning," but it isn't that way when I am off my meds, and it definitely wasn't that way when trying new medications. I've also learned how to refute people's statements about it being a "fake disease" or any other misconception they might have. I've had to learn how to adjust in school since this is a major area where it can effect me.

4. Overcoming Hardships

We've all had our rough patches, and had to figure out how to get through them. Through my most significant hardship, I was alone for the most part because I was the new kid at school, my old friends at home were always busy, I resented my parents for their divorce, and I had no clue of how to deal with it. Yes, I sort of had a support system, but my stubbornness and mental strength pushed me through it. I told myself, it's going to get better. It has to get better.

5. Adjusting to a New Environment

I had to adjust to my new high school, and eventually college. Moving to a new location was like culture shock to me. The people were different, the school was different, and the overall attitude was different. I learned how to adjust well enough to get used to it in high school. However, I felt more welcome and excited when I got to college. I definitely had to adjust to the new schedule, along with more stress.

6. How to Bake

This is the only form of cooking I can actually do. I can bake cakes, cupcakes, different breads, and any other oven made meal from a box. I can do all of this without burning the food. I know it's easy to follow directions on a box, but some people mess it up. Any time I bake sweets for a party or other event, people really enjoy them.

7. How to Bargain Shop

I'm not one of those coupon ladies, but I do know how to find a good deal. I am careful with spending. I always read the price tag, and I do my math carefully. I'm not ashamed to go to a discount store to buy things. I've asked myself many questions, such as, "do I need this? Should I sacrifice paying for convenience and do it myself for free, and squeeze it into my already busy schedule? Name brand or store brand? Should I splurge and buy this or wait?"

8. Responsibility

I've learned how to take care of business, of course. I've learned that if I know I'm going to miss class or an event to let the person know ASAP so that I can get the work or be filled in on what was missed. I've learned how to take care of myself and any duties I might have.

9. How to be a Good Employee

I've learned that having a job is important, but being a good employee is what's really important. It doesn't matter what kind of job you have, but if you can actually do what you are supposed to when told. I always do my job as told and trained, and try to do a little extra if possible.

10. How to be a Friend

This may not seem like anything major, but knowing how to be there for someone and support them is an important skill to have. We must know how to maintain these relationships with others, while taking care of ourselves too. We have to learn how to spend time with others in order to fulfill social needs.

11. How to be a Girlfriend

I've learned the role of being a girlfriend. I've learned how to show love to the other person in a dating relationship. I'm still learning, but it's also important to know to show that you can love not only yourself, but others as well. Dating relationships are pretty major in one's life because it can either make someone extremely happy or completely depressed.

12. How to Work Hard

Working hard applies in multiple areas of your life. You can dream and desire all you want, but you have to actually work towards what you want instead of expecting it to be handed to you.

13. How to Get Over a Guy

Dealing with a broken heart sucks, but I've learned to get over the person who did the breaking. Block his number, don't talk to him, delete him from social media, and avoid him. Not only that, but confide in people you love and trust and talk to them about it. Avoid that person whom you ended on a bad note with.

14. Self Acceptance

I've accepted myself for who I am. I know that there's always room for improvement, but there are some things that just won't change. I've learned to lighten up some and not always be serious, but deep down I'll always be a serious person. I'll always be an ambitious person. I'm also trying to lose weight, but I've also accepted my body type and that I won't ever be stick skinny. There are things about me (and others) that won't change, so it's best to accept it.

15. Makeup Skills

I actually know what foundation is and how to use it. My future career will involve makeup, so I better learn how to use it and get used to wearing it. I still enjoy being plain faced for every day wear, but I don't mind dressing it up every once in a while. I have come a long way since my high school TV production days when it comes to makeup.

16. Less is More

This applies to a lot of things, whether it's certain types of art, clothes, decorating a room, or anything that involves putting something together. You don't want to look overdone for an occasion, or clutter too many things into one spot.

17. Time Management

This skill is extremely important because it is a life saver in college...or any time you're adulting. Life throws many things at you, and you must take care of whatever comes at you. Knowing when to do/how long to spend on a task will help with scheduling other important responsibilities in your life.

18. Art Skills

I absolutely love painting, drawing, singing, and writing. I'm so glad that I've learned how to do these things, although the basic grasp came to me naturally. I've loved doing these things since I was young, but through my education, I've enhanced these skills into something I'm very proud of.

19. Open Mindedness

I've been pretty closed minded most of my life, and that applies to a couple of different areas. I wasn't too terribly picky when it came to eating, but I'm more open minded about food today than what I was years ago. I'm more open to ideas and social issues. I like trying new experiences and going to new locations. I didn't expect there to be much in Boise, Idaho when we went for speech, but I loved it. It was unique and had interesting places to eat and things to do.

20. Don't Take Anything for Granted

Time is precious, especially when spent with loved ones. You never know what tomorrow will bring. I didn't expect my grandpa to pass away in 2016 because I always had this notion ever since I was little that he'd live to be 100. My time with him was limited after I moved away. I regret that and wish I could tell him. Always make the time you can for loved ones, and make the most of it.

Happy 20th to me. Here's to many more.