20 Lessons I Learned Before I Turned 20

20 Lessons I Learned Before I Turned 20

You get what you give into the world. Let it be love.

150
20 Lessons I Learned Before I Turned 20
Ava Frazier

In my twenty years of life, I have experienced a whole lot of highs and just as many lows. As painful as some things have been for me, I have learned so much from them, which is the goal, right?? I have learned to love universally, to protect myself when need be, and to show vulnerability and openness with every step I take. I am pretty proud of the person I am today, but I know I still have a ways to go. Cheers to twenty more years of highs, lows, and lessons. These are twenty lessons that I have learned so far.

1. It's okay to look like you care.

There is nothing more soul-squandering than hiding your feelings. Tell that person you care about them. Feel the pain of a tragedy. Let yourself care.

2. You don't have to laugh if you don't think it's funny.

Sure, your lack of appreciation for the insult won't be taken very well, but it if it doesn't deserve your laughter, why bother? How else will they learn that their humor is offensive.

3. A smile lights up your face more than highlighter ever will.

This sounds so corny, but I truly, deeply mean it.

4. You get what you give into the world.

Let it be love.

5. If you are a creator of any kind and you made something for a loved one, be careful. Don't show it to someone who sees it as an ego boost instead of art.

6. Love and respect are everything.

The answer to every question. The solution to every problem.

7. Don't accept apologies that are given out of guilt instead of love.

It's not okay, so don't say it is.

8. Forgive everything.

Not because they necessarily deserve it, but because you deserve peace.

9. Picking someone up from the airport is a show of love.

Never forget to appreciate the little things that people do for you.

10. You have to let life take you sometimes.

There's always a bigger plan.

11. Depression is real and it is ugly.

But it gets a little bit easier to handle every day.

12. The truth always comes out in the end.

Doesn't matter how big or small.

13. Morning and night routines can help pull your entire life together.

I'm serious. It keeps you on track and aware of all of the other tasks you need to tackle for the day.

14. There's something bigger than all of us.

Whether you believe that it's God, or fate, or love, it is important to remember that you're not the center of the universe.

15. Happiness is something you create, not something you find.

A lot of people journey for it their entire lives, but they are never going to find it until they look within themselves.

16. The key to staying happy is gratitude.

For what you have. For the ways you have grown. For being alive.

17. Everyone has their own path.

So don't compare yourself to others! It's hard, I know.

18. Extremism is the root of all evil. Everything should be done in moderation, from food to politics.

19. The way people feel about you says more about them than it does about you.

If you're kind to everyone, then their problem with you is not your problem.

20. Your instincts are more important than anyone else's advice.

Follow your intuition. Always.