20 Things I Learned By 20

20 Things I Learned By 20

All of my immense knowledge at your fingertips.

10
20 Things I Learned By 20

A few weeks ago I celebrated my 20th birthday, and have decided that since I am now half way to 40 years old and only getting wiser (kind of), I wanted to offer advice to anyone who is willing to take it. So here's a list of 20 things I've learned by 20:

1. Friends will come and go. The same people will not always be your friend, but cherish those relationships while you have them.

2. You can't make others happy if you aren't. I struggle with this so much. You can't offer genuine advice to help someone get better if you are not OK yourself.

3. Always be kind. Kindness is so important. Seriously, you may think you are so much better than everyone but still be kind. You will be respected so much more.

4. Your best self is your real self. Don't pretend to be something that you aren't to fit in. It is not worth the constant role playing.

5. Family is important, don't push them away. They know all your faults and still love you. They are here to pick you up when you're down.

6. Don't be afraid to ask for help. I struggle with this one too. If you are stubborn like I am, try your best to get over it. You can grow relationships when you allow people to help you.

7. Laughter truly is the best medicine. If you know anything about me, you know that I laugh at literally anything. And luckily I have learned how to laugh at myself. You should too. Don't take yourself too seriously.

8. Give all to God. This should be number one, and common sense. You are not strong enough to handle life on your own. It's a fact.

9. Pray constantly. Always be in prayer; for yourself, friends, family, our nation etc. Never cease your prayers.

10. Love with a big heart. Love just as Christ has loved us. It's hard to always love everyone, but it is so worthwhile.

11. Never be too busy to talk to someone in need. You can miss an hour of your t.v. show or sleep to talk to someone in need. If you were in their shoes, you'd want that person to be willing to talk to you and sacrifice their own wants/needs.

12. Learn something new every day. Whether or not you are in school this applies. Make it a goal for yourself to learn something new every day. Even if it's a fact about a random person or history (There is not a shortage of these).

13. College is stressful, but so worth it. Yes. College may not seem like the option for you and that's OK. But, college is so worth the time and money I have spent. I have built such lasting friendships and grown so much in my faith.

14. Your true friends are the ones who keep your secrets, not the ones who uses them for a social status. Is this even questioned? Do not let people use you for their personal gain. Seriously, one of my biggest pet peeves.

15. You are never too busy for a talk with God. Also true. When you feel as if everyone has turned on you, God hasn't. Talk to Him in both the good and bad times.

16. Take a day for yourself. Relax, take a bubble bath, dance in your underwear. Take time for you! Discover who you are and what you love and don't let anyone change that.

17. Popularity is not that important. Sure, popularity is what most people strive for in life but it is not worth manipulation or sacrifice of good friendships for it.

18. God is always good. ALWAYS. Not sometimes, not most of the time. All of the time. Don't forget who created you, and whose plan you should strive to follow.

19. Do not play dumb to get a guy. Seriously. This is not cute. You should "get the guy" by being yourself. Strive for God and He will place the right guy in your life at the right time

20. Don't forget to tell people how much they mean to you. Sometimes your friends will be upset, and they will feel worthless. Be there to pick them up and encourage them.

These are things that I have to remind myself of daily and I am still working on getting it right. I'll come back to this next year when I have gained a plethora of new information and wisdom. Be expecting a new piece.