20 Things All College Freshmen Should Know

20 Pieces of Advice for the Class of 2020

15
The Class of 2020

To the class of 2020 - congratulations! You made it through your first month of college! Hopefully it was everything you wanted it to be and more. Regardless of which direction you're taking your first year, all college freshmen should keep the following tips in mind. Here's 20 pieces of advice for the class of 2020 courtesy of members of the classes of 2019, 2018, and 2017.

1. Get involved on campus as soon as you get the chance to.

- Matt

2. Go to your classes, those 8AMs are a drag but seriously, go.

- Agnieszka

3. Don't forget to live while at school - studies are important but social experiences are too. So don't take school so seriously all the time.

- JK

4. Manage your time, do the reading and caffeinate.

- Rachel

5. Go to that party, relax, and have a drink.

- Liz

6. Don't give into peer pressure to have your college experience be a certain way.

- Erik

7. Do very well your first semester, that way when course loads get bigger and the difficulty ramps up, your GPA won't be affected too much.

- Paul

8. Take some time to figure yourself out.

- Margaret

9. Stay on top of graduation requirements. Look at your degree evaluation early and remember required courses aren't offered each semester. Take what you have to ASAP so you don't have to go an extra year.

- Ashley

10. Form relations with your professors. They can be your biggest allies, saviors, or #1 fans!

- Amy

11. This is YOUR education, you're paying to be here, take it seriously and stay focused because your future depends on it.

- Chris

12. Don't get caught up in drama. College isn't like high school where you have to see the same people every day. It'll distract you from your work and it's unneeded stress.

- Alexis

13. Ask when you need help but don't get into the habit of asking your professors for everything.

- Laura

14. Manage your time wisely and do homework in any free time you get so you don't procrastinate until the last minute. It will save you a lot of stress when the deadline is approaching!

- Hailey

15. Don't be confident that the major you come in with will be what you graduate in. You might change it once - or twice.

- Evan

16. Do not depend on others to create your future.

- Cindy

17. Don't be so quick to judge people and you'll make friends fast.

- Ryan

18. Try to look somewhat presentable each day. Sweats are comfy but you'll feel more confident if you dress up a little every now and then.

- Mackenzie

19. Avoid the freshman 15. Even if you don't belong to a gym, you can still find ways to get moving around campus for free.

- Pat

20. Stop holding back and be the person you were afraid to be in the past. A new attitude can bring new opportunities. If you don't stay true to yourself you'll regret it in the future.

- Bridget