20 Things Nobody Is Going To Tell You About College

I wish someone would've told me what college was really like before I grew up. Maybe then I wouldn't have been so disappointed my first year, when it was nothing like what I thought it was going to be. Here's the cold, hard truth about college.

1. Sometimes your professors will be more clueless than you are.

There are going to be times that you have no idea what the hell your professor is talking about. In those times, you're going to have to teach yourself.

2. You'll probably spend more money on textbooks than groceries.

Textbook fees are no joke. Prepare to drop hundreds of dollars per semester on a book you'll use once (maybe).

3. Your syllabus is going to be your lifeline.

Don't ask your teacher a question about course structure or grading because they'll just say, "It's in the syllabus."

4. You're always going to be sleep-deprived.

There are two types of sleep-deprived college students: the coffee drinkers and the nappers. Have fun figuring out which one you are.

5. Crying is probably going to be a daily occurrence.

If you're not very emotional, plan on at least once a week. Sometimes the frustration, stress and confusion just take their toll...usually all at the same time.

6. Naps are crucial.

Ten minutes before you have to go to class? Better take a nap! It'll fuel your 2 a.m. study session.

7. Dorms are truly disgusting.

There's nothing "cute" about living in a dorm. They're nasty, and the other people are nasty. I don't know where your tuition is going, but it sure as hell isn't going here.

8. You're not going to like everyone you meet.

You thought all the catty girls and fuckboys stayed behind at your high school? False! Now you get to be surrounded by catty girls and fuckboys from all of the other schools, but you probably won't know they're bad people until it's too late.

9. College friends can be just as shitty as high school friends.

You might not find a BFF in college and that's okay. Good friends are hard to come by. Don't get discouraged if it takes you awhile to find them.

10. Your tuition dollars aren't actually funding your education.

I mean, I guess they are technically, but most of them are funding giant renovations on buildings that didn't need an update.

11. You're going to feel dumb. Often.

In college, there is always going to be someone that is smarter than you.

12. Most teachers aren't going to work with you.

If you're going to miss class, you better have a doctor's note because teachers don't care about excuses.

13. Small things may become the highlight of your week.

You can only do so much homework before you need a break. Trips to Target are what keep me going.

14. You can't relax without thinking about all of your looming responsibilities.

Is it possible to watch Netflix and truly enjoy it, knowing you've got an assignment due in a few days? No. No, it isn't.

15. At any time, in any place, at least one college student is drunk.

Monday afternoon? Thursday morning? You bet there's a college student somewhere taking shots. Odds are it's someone's birthday.

16. Almost no one loves every second of college.

If you go into college thinking it is going to be the best times of your life, you're probably going to be disappointed. College is fun, but challenging. You have to work hard to have a great future.

17. People are going to fuck you over just because you're in college.

Ninety-nine percent of the time, this will be your landlord. Apartment buildings charge a ridiculous amount for rent because they know they can get away with it. Learn your rights so people don't take advantage of you.

18. You're not a child, but you're not an adult.

It's frustrating to be in this weird limbo where one day you're paying bills and going to work and the next day you have to ask to use the restroom.

19. Few people actually care how you're doing.

"How are you?" is a conversation starter and usually nothing more. Find the people who truly want to know how you're doing and cherish them.

20. You're going to miss high school.

Maybe not very often, but there will be moments where you feel a twinge of nostalgia for your carefree high school days. You'll probably feel the same way about college in a few years.