I'm Almost 20 And I Don't Know What I Want To Do

And I Shouldn't Have To Know.

512

Well, it’s officially fall which means Thanksgiving is quickly approaching.

Which also means it’s the time of year where we face the dreaded questions asked by family members:

“How’s college?”

“Do you have a boyfriend?”

“Do you have a job yet?”

“What do you want to do after you graduate?”

College is great!

No, I still don’t have a boyfriend, Grandma.

I’m still a student; no I don’t have a job yet.

And last but not least...

I. Don’t. Know.

It’s so hard to ask an 18-year old what they want to do for the rest of their life. I got to college with one major, switched a few weeks later, and love my new major. I definitely have ideas with what I want to do once I graduate, but it’s so hard to give the solid answer and have my life planned out before I’m even 20.

I’m a public relations major, so I do have flexibility within my major to do so much, so I’m (not very) sorry that I don’t know exactly how I want to spend the rest of my life.

Again, I have ideas...very general ideas. I think I want to do something in the sports industry or fashion industry, but I can’t say I have a dream job or some sort of goal, which I don’t think is a bad thing. I look forward to being able to explore the PR/communications field and figure out what I do and don’t like. That’s how people learn, right?

I’m 19 years old; I don’t understand why I feel like I have to know what I want to do with the rest of my life. Why would I want to have this whole plan, when most people end up doing something different than what they originally planned? Why would I want a goal to hang over my head when there’s a chance I won’t reach it? Of course, I want to reach it, but who knows what will happen. Things change. I want to explore. I want to make mistakes. I want to try things and not like them. I want to be in a good place, but I don’t want to know what I want to do.

I shouldn’t have to know what I want to do with the rest of my life or what I want to do after I graduate. In fact, I don’t know what I want to do and I’m perfectly okay with that. Life will figure itself out and I know I’ll end up where I should in the end.