The Catahoula: Louisiana's Best Kept Secret

A catawhata?

1306
Elliot the Catahoula Puppy
Kerri Caldwell

I've only been The Chosen One to a Catahoula for about three months, but it feels like we've always belonged to each other.

Catahoula LoveKerri Caldwell

Elliot was three months old when I brought him home from the local SPCA, and his litter was given the vague "Lab mix" breed.

Elliot the CatahoulaKerri Caldwell

I knew immediately this was not the case. This was confirmed within hours of bringing Elliot home (I would soon learn he was being a 'Catahouligan'), as well as a couple of weeks later when two different people told me he was "no doubt a Catahoula."

Baby Elliot, Catahoula Puppy Kerri Caldwell

A catawhata? Yup, I said the same thing. After a quick search turned into hours of absorbing information that finally settled into a lifetime obsession, I knew what a Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dog was. First known as Catahoula Cur, they're also called Catahoula Hound, Catahoula Hound Dog, and Catahoula Leopard Hound. "Catahoula" is a Choctaw Indian word meaning "sacred lake." It derives from the area in Catahoula Parish, Louisiana near Catahoula Lake, where the breed originated. The Catahoula Leopard dog is a descendant of the Native American dogs that the first settlers to northern Louisiana encountered in that area. In its original name, "cur" refers to the lowest class of nameless or mixed-breed dogs, which means Catahoulas are a mutt of a breed, and therefore exhibit a range of sizes, fur textures, and colors.

Catahoula puppy@blu_catahoula

Catahoula @rowanthehoula

Catahoula@catahoudat

The appearance of a Catahoula was never a priority - instead, breeders focused on the work ethic of these dogs. Intelligent and driven, owning a Catahoula is not for first-time dog owners. Even now, this breed needs constant mental and physical stimulation in addition to having a job. This trait alone is the telltale sign that you own a true Catahoula. Because their appearance varies so much, the true test of purity in a Catahoula is its working instinct.

Despite their appearance being a second thought, Catahoulas will halt most people in their tracks. I can't count the times we've been stopped on a trail or cornered at the dog park so someone could ask about Elliot. After telling me what a beautiful dog I have (as if I didn't already know), I get asked, "What is he?" And I only have to ask one question:

"Have you ever heard of a Catahoula Leopard Dog?"

People will either light up and get excited, or they'll look at me like I made the name up. Which I did not. But when this happens, I either get to geek out with other Catahoula people or I get to talk about them. And considering the wide variety of their looks, many people have likely seen a Catahoula without realizing it. However, certain lines of Catahoula dogs became quite well-known for having a very distinct look. The three most famous include:

The Wright Line - Founded by Preston Wright, this line's pedigree traced directly back to the descendants of the Spaniards' dogs that bred with the local Indians' dogs. The dogs of this line were quite substantial and weighed between 90 and 110 pounds on average.

The Fairbanks Line - Founded by Lovie Fairbanks, these dogs weighed in around 70 pounds on average. Their typical colors were yellow or brindle.

The McMillin Line - Founded by T. A. McMillin, dogs of this line weighed approximately 60 pounds on average, and they were predominantly blue merles with glass or marbled eyes.

White-tipped tails, coats of many colors, and one of a kind eyes - the Catahoula's striking appearance have inspired several writers, including Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse novels, which might be better known by its tv adaptation True Blood.The breed has also graced the small screen in episodes of Bones and Veronica Mars.

If all of this has yet to convince you that Catahoulas are a force to be reckoned with, then let the chaos of these Catahouligans seal the deal:

Catahouligans @steelcircus

Catachaos@katielo.photo

Catahoula @eightysecond

Catahoula @milothecatahoula

And not to be outdone, here's my own Catahouligan.

Elliot Kerri Caldwell