As I turn another year older here are some pieces of advice I wish I had known. Now, I am no expert but some of these tips could come in handy so sit back, grab a snack, and enjoy.
19 tips for 19 years:
- Exercise is a good thing!!!! It may not be fun all of the time but it might make you feel better and sometimes going for a random run is very calming for a restless mind. It’s hard to think about much when you’re trying to breathe.
- Naps are very underrated. Seriously, take them every once in awhile. I really regret wasting them in kindergarten.
- An apple a day may keep the doctor away but nothing feels better eating that dessert you’ve been craving all week.
- Once a week, do something that scares you a little. Fright can be healthy in small doses.
- Forgiveness is key to being a happier individual. Spend that energy on something fun, not on negativity.
- Try to go without your phone for a day. I’ve noticed I am always a little happier when I am not on it all the time.
- Always be kind to your others. TREAT OTHERS THE WAY YOU WANT TO BE TREATED.
- Watch X-Files. Seriously, it is so good.
- Sometimes it can be a little scary to try a new activity that your close friends might not be a part of. Even though it might terrify you and you may start to psyche yourself out and say that you won't have any fun, you may end up having a ball and meeting some wonderful people.
- Appreciate free meals and free laundry while you can.
- Sometimes, it is totally okay to not know how or what to feel.
- Girl Meets World is a very good show and I do not care that I am a 20-year old who thoroughly enjoys it. It has some real quality life lessons in the plot.
- GO ENJOY NATURE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!
- Sometimes low expectations are not a bad thing. Some of the best nights of my life have come from those where I didn’t expect much to happen.
- Keep your friends close but your enemies closer.
- Always have hope and try and see the good in everyone.
- T-shirt dresses and leggings are the only essentials you really need for college.
- Sometimes your friends make unwise choices. Don’t judge them! Just listen to them, be there for them, and make sure you are ready to give hugs and buy a lot of ice cream.
- My last tip, probably the most important thing I have learned in life, is that people change people. Surround yourself with those who bring you happiness, joy, are honest when necessary, and have a great capacity for love. My friends have made me a stronger person and I love them with all my heart.
Just remember, life is short. Try to live like Ferris Bueller and you may have the time of your life.