19 Things I've Learned In 19 Years

19 Things I've Learned In 19 Years

Just living and learning.

25
19 Things I've Learned In 19 Years
Pintrest

Experts believe that the brain isn’t fully developed until your mid-twenties. So at the prime age of 19, there’s no question that there’s still a lot I need to learn. However, adolescents are going through so much change in their lives, they’re forced to think more. They’re forced to think and rethink people, situations, outcomes, events, and life-changing decisions. While our brains may not be complete, 19 years has treated me well, and it may have taught me a thing or two on top of it.

1. Have an open mind

2. Don’t hold a grudge

3. Work hard

There are no shortcuts in life. Your friends won’t always be there to give you their notes when you skip class.

4. Have a passion for something

It doesn’t have to be football or music or chemistry. Have a passion for people or places. Have a passion for experiences. Life is little more exciting if you do.

5. Stop comparing yourself to others

6. It’s okay to let people go

Not everyone that crosses your life path is meant to stay in it. Sometimes even the people we care most about end up walking out. Let them. If they don’t want to be a part of your life, there’s no need to beg them to stay. But at the same time…

7. Hold on to the right people

Differentiating between the ones that leave your life at the end of the chapter and the ones that finish off the book may be difficult. Surround yourself with people that care about you. Don’t let those ones go.

8. Know your priorities

9. You can’t please everyone

10. It’s okay to be childish

Sing Disney songs, order the kid’s grilled cheese, play with toys when you go Target

11. Acquire some awesome friends, but still put your family first

Even if they’re forced to deal with you, you need them.

12. It’s okay to not be realistic

Throughout your whole life, people will continuously tell you to stay positive, which is incredibly motivating. At the same time, preparing for the worst doesn’t make you a pessimist. Getting your hopes up, only for them to be crushed, hurts.

13. Be thankful — for everything

14. Perspective changes everything

Every single moment of our lives seems like it’s do-or-die. The fight we’re indulging, the test we didn’t pass, the things we wanted but didn’t get. Most of it won’t matter years from now. Let it go, and move on.

15. Love yourself

If you’re not happy with yourself, you’ll never be happy with other people. Don’t rely on someone else to make you happy. Learn to love yourself first.

16. Don’t take life too seriously

17. Be humble

18. Money doesn’t yield happiness

Some of the best things in life are free: hugs, nature, friends, family, listening to music. Don’t let money interfere with your happiness.

19. Laugh

And then laugh some more. Life is too short to enjoy it.