10 Things I Learned in 2019

10 Things I Learned in 2019

A list of things & experiences I collected throughout the year 2019.

113
10 Things I Learned in 2019
Image Credit: John de Guzman via flickr

As the years pass, I realize just how many opportunities for growth 12 months can offer. 18 years of experience leads me to this moment. The trials & tribulations I have faced have helped shape me into the young woman I am today.

Here are a few things I learned in 2019, & maybe you can learn something from my experiences:

1. Don't let the fear of rejection hold you back from life. Rejection can lead you to a path in life that you never expected, but often times that new direction is exactly where you are meant to be.

2. More often than not, when you meet new people (especially on your first day of college), they are probably just as nervous as you. Relax!

3. Save your money, but don't be afraid to invest in yourself. Investing in yourself (such as buying new camera equipment like me haha) to further your education or future is extremely important because those investments can help you make or save more money in the future.

4. You don't need validation from others to feel secure in your decisions. This is a big one for me, as I was constantly looking for reassurance from family, friends, & unfortunately sometimes just acquaintances. There is nothing wrong with asking other's opinions or advice on a matter close to your heart, but if you are completely reliant on what they think to make your decision... something is not right. You should have the power to feel confident in your choices about your own life.

5. New experiences will not just fall into your lap, you have to push yourself out of your comfort zone to accomplish these things. I am an extremely shy person & my comfort zone used to be the only place I resided. But after I made a huge move to a different state, made new friends, & started trying things I never thought I would try, I began to feel more confident & sure of myself. If I didn't get out of my head about new experiences being scary, I would have stayed in my house, unhappy & living an entirely different life.

6. Stop overthinking about what you have to offer to the conversation. As a very nervous & shy person by nature, I would always overthink any social interaction presented to me. This of course not only hurts me, but sometimes gives the impression to others that I am meek & offer no contribution to the conversation. Which, in past years would have been 100% true. But as I started working on not allowing people to walk all over me (still a work in progress) I began to speak up in group discussions.

7. It's okay to go out & do things on your own. I used to always feel like I couldn't go see a movie by myself, or go out to eat alone. It's perfectly normal & no, you do not look “weird". You shouldn't feel the need to always have company, & you should feel comfortable enough with yourself to be your own “date". I began to understand this after moving to Florida & having no friends to do anything with. Spend time with yourself! You don't always need to have someone accompany you 24/7.

8. Set up an effective study plan. I have to admit, upon entering college I did not have a clue about how to properly study. In high school I would just look over the notes a couple of times the night before, but now I have learned (the hard way, I might add) that studying the material all throughout the week prior to the test is the more effective & stress-free way to study. So rather than trying to cram the information into your head the night before, set up an outline to help you go over key points throughout the week.

9. When traveling & exploring different cultures, it is important to absorb all that you are immersed in & journal! Journaling is such a fun way to keep up with your daily adventures & allows you to do something more worth while than staring at your phone hours at a time.

10. This year I learned just how strong I can be. As I close the chapter on one of the hardest years of my life, I look back & realize the power in resilience. I found strength in my passion for dance & my ability to express myself through art.

I am proud of the growth I have experienced in just one year & I am beyond excited to see the opportunities & blessings that come my way in 2020.