19 Signs You Grew Up In Small Town Iowa

19 Signs You Grew Up In Small Town Iowa

If you grew up in small town Iowa, you'll know all of these things to be true.

207
19 Signs You Grew Up In Small Town Iowa
Wikipedia

If you've grown up in small town Iowa, you know there are some things that just our people do — things that normal people don't. If you can relate to these 19 things, you might just be one of us.

1. Everyone smiled and waved when you drove by.

Seriously. Name one person who doesn't smile and wave at you. Hell, sometimes they even invite you to their house.

2. You say “Op” if you accidentally bump into someone.

This has to be just a Midwestern thing, I swear.

3. Even if you don’t watch sports, you’re either a Hawkeyes or Cyclones fan.

You've never watched a game in your life but somehow ended up with an article of fandom clothing and that's your team.

4. Your school was seriously dedicated to sports.

Even if your school totally sucked at sports, they just couldn't let the fine arts have a chance.

5. When you walk down the street, at least 50% of front porches have a rocking chair on them.

You've probably never seen anyone sitting in them, but they are always there.

6. You can always rely on your neighbors for literally anything.

Sugar? Sure. Milk? Yep. Hiding a dead body? Why not?

7. Somehow the neighborhood kids end up being your own.

You invited them over for dinner and video games once, and now somehow they're always around.

8. There are no such things as “secrets.”

Even if you whisper, the whole town will hear you. Rumors and secrets spread like wildfire.

9. You have a class size of 30 people.

Yup. You grew up with the same 13-35 idiots your entire life. Good times.

10. No matter how many times you stab each other in the back, you're still family.

Even family can annoy you.

11. You really don’t mind the smell of cow/pig manure.

Ah, the smell of manure in the morning. Smells like home.

12. When the bowling alley is packed every Friday night, because it’s the only business in town.

Okay, maybe the bar too.

13. When your town has at least three churches, within a one-mile radius.

It really opens your eyes to how large the population of senior citizens actually is in town.

14. A LOT of people are on drugs.

Remember when they told us that explosion was a gas leak? Yeah, probably not.

15. Everyone at the gas station knows you by name.

They probably even know where you live and what you smoke.

16. Your parents were probably pretty tight with your teachers.

Which definitely meant you weren't getting away with that F.

17. Your town only has one cop.

Making trouble was a lot easier.

18. Having a bonfire is way cooler than any party.

Even though bonfires usually doubled as a party. Sorry about your beer, Mom.

19. Corn husks, EVERYWHERE.

Don't ask... We don't know either.

So, if you've had the pleasure of being from Iowa, you know all these little things to be true. There's nothing like small town pride!