19 Lessons I Learned Over 19 Years Life

19 Lessons I Learned Over 19 Years Life

13. Never admit you’re very ticklish in front of a friend who is a master tickler.
18

I turned 19 this past weekend, so I decided to a little self-reflection over some critical and humorous lessons I’ve learned in the almost two decades of my life.

1. Wash the dishes now because you WILL NOT do them later.

2. Now take that last one and apply it to everything else in life.

Procrastination is never good, and no amount of justification will ever make it right.

3. Never lose an opportunity to nap.

Napping is amazing and every chance that you get should be used in its entirety.

4. Be nice to your siblings when you need to ask something from your parents.

They have the power to make or break your case.

5. Let your sister borrow your clothes.

You will eventually borrow hers, too.

6. Sometimes give that song you always skip a try, it might end up becoming one of your favorites.

7. Staying up to binge the new season of Supernatural on Netflix before a huge due date is a terrible idea.

But if nothing’s due tomorrow, do it.

8. When you complain to your grandma about your mom not letting you do something, make sure she isn’t standing right behind you.

9. Do not tell your little brother that “sacapuntas” is a swear word in Spanish.

It just means a pencil sharpener and it’s not worth getting in trouble over.

10. Also, do not tell your little brother when you get anyone a present because he WILL let it slip no matter how hard he tries.

11. When on the phone with relatives, do not tell them, “Mommy said she’s in the shower so she can’t talk to you.”

12. Let your mom know how much you love and appreciate her cooking because you will miss it a lot at college.

Believe me, you will seriously regret it.

14. Give people a chance.

It’s fine to hold back around new people, especially those with completely different personalities than you’re used to, but be open to change. It will transform you.

15. Never feel guilty for holding on to your morals or what you believe is the right thing to do.

Just because others are doing it doesn’t mean you must do it as well.

16. Trust your judgement.

You know what you’re comfortable with and what you’re not, and don’t compromise on that for anyone.

17. It is completely okay to make mistakes.

No one is perfect, and mistakes are necessary for growth.

18. Don’t be afraid to try new things.

You may never know what you’re missing out on. To emphasize it, I will include this basic but important quote here by Wayne Gretzky, “You miss 100 percent of the shots you don’t take.”

19. There is nothing wrong with being too nice to people.

There is enough hate in the world, so spread the positive vibes whenever you can. If you feel like complementing someone, do it. If you want to send someone a good luck message, do it. It can make someone’s day and yours, too.