Most theatre performers do not fight the realization that belting character roles are more interesting and enjoyable to inhabit. Though the stock ingenue will never disappear, meatier character roles often steal the attention. Multi-layered character roles bring both complex characterizations and show-stopping songs, especially when they release the infamous vocal belt.
The following list includes many roles that character-loving/belting women have cherished throughout the entirety of musical theatre. Though the list includes some pivotal roles, it is not comprehensive. (I would be remiss if I did not acknowledge the fact that personal preferences did influence some selections.) I am still confident that fellow theatre-lovers will approve of most (if not all) of the included roles.
1. The Witch from "Big Fish"
2. Lady of the Lake from "Spamalot"
3. Mama Rose from "Gypsy"
4. Mame from "Mame"
5. Fanny Brice from "Funny Girl"
6. Effie White from "Dreamgirls"
7. Witch from "Into the Woods"
[rebelmouse-proxy-image https://media.rbl.ms/image?u=%2Ffiles%2F2017%2F01%2F17%2F636202263662117168-237901092_giphy.gif&ho=https%3A%2F%2Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net&s=721&h=9e92a02177e0ec8efb59c66df8f7e8168c4ce911a853e5317da76bdb95824be4&size=980x&c=500372883 crop_info="%7B%22image%22%3A%20%22https%3A//media.rbl.ms/image%3Fu%3D%252Ffiles%252F2017%252F01%252F17%252F636202263662117168-237901092_giphy.gif%26ho%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net%26s%3D721%26h%3D9e92a02177e0ec8efb59c66df8f7e8168c4ce911a853e5317da76bdb95824be4%26size%3D980x%26c%3D500372883%22%7D" expand=1]
8. Miss Hannigan from "Annie"
9. Celie from "The Color Purple"
10. The Drowsy Chaperone from "The Drowsy Chaperone"
11. Annie Oakley from "Annie Get Your Gun"
12. Reno Sweeney from "Anything Goes"
13. Princess Winnifred the Woebegone from "Once Upon a Mattress"
14. Jo March from "Little Women"
15. Victoria Grant/Count Victor Grazinski from "Victor/Victoria"
16. Sally from "Follies"
17. Joanne from "Company"
18. Eva Perón from "Evita"
19. Ursula from "The Little Mermaid"
Every actor cherishes his or her favorite roles, and the list of dream roles is often endless. Honestly, the dream simply fuels the passion. Nothing in the world compares to the rush of live musical theatre.