18 Versus 21, The Drinking Debate

18 Versus 21, The Drinking Debate

Because lowering the Minimum Legal Drinking Age seems like the rational thing to do at this point.

131
18 Versus 21, The Drinking Debate
wanderlust

Lately, there had been talk about whether or not the drinking age in America should be lowered from 21 to 18. If you look through this country's past there has been quite a few changes in the minimum legal drinking age (MLDA), with different reasons as to why it is that age.

After the repeal of Prohibition each state was allowed to set it's own MLDA, most states chose 21. When the legal voting age dropped down to 18, the MLDA also dropped down to 18, 19 and 20 throughout the states. The current standard for the MLDA came about while Reagan was president. President Reagan passed an act that threatened to take away a portion of federal transportation funding if states did not set their MLDA to 21.

At the age of 18 one can do many things that can affect their long term life, but in most states they are not allowed to purchase or consume alcohol. At the age of 18 you can purchase tobacco products, vote, get married, join the army and form legally binding contracts. Some of which require much more responsibility and have much more drastic outcomes than purchasing and consuming alcohol.

I am not quite 21 yet, but no, I am not writing this article because I want to go out and get hammered with my friends every weekend. I also don't mind waiting one more year to be able to purchase and consume alcohol. Its a year, not that big of a deal, I can wait. I am writing this because I feel like we are at a point in time where it makes sense to change the MLDA and there are logical reasons to do so.

Everyone knows that alcohol can impair judgement and when not used responsibly can lead to serious injury and possibly death. As young adults and teenagers, people are exposed to alcohol in different settings. Most people see alcohol when they are at a family event, or witness their parents drinking a glass of wine for dinner. Some people are exposed to alcohol through their friends and peers, which seems to have a bigger impact on them. By the time someone turns 21 chances are they have already tried alcohol. It just seems like the logical thing to teach them to drink responsibly at a younger age such as 18, in a controlled setting before they get too involved in alcohol use. Parents can teach their children to have a drink here and there, rather then have their peers teach them how to binge-drink.

On that note, many people believe that teens and young adults will participate in less reckless behavior if they are drinking legally. It eliminates the rebellious feel that they get from drinking illegally. Many groups against lowering the drinking age believe that there will be an increase in alcohol related driving fatalities. In reality less people will be less afraid to admit that they are too intoxicated to drive because it would have been done legally. They can call for help instead of getting behind the wheel to try and sneak home so they are not caught.

I understand and agree that rules, laws and regulations are put in place to keep them safe. But is there really a big difference in how a 21 year old will wake up on their birthday and think to act responsibly and differently than an 18 year old. It takes time to learn responsibility, it won't just happen overnight.

With that being said it is more rational to teach them younger, rather then set them up to be irresponsible and be more at risk for danger. When it is time for them to legally drink they will already be too far gone in their drinking habits to be able to do it responsibly,