18 Things You Can Do When The World Is Falling Apart

Because you have more power than you think.

139

Man. Sometimes, things just seem to be going to hell. Our president is a walking, talking cheese ball. There are natural disasters and shootings to which the only sympathies elicited by politicians are "thoughts and prayers." I wonder what the Earth did that was bad enough for us to treat it like a burning garbage heap.

But this article isn't meant to bring you down; rather, it aims to lift you up. If you don't like the way things are going in the world, then change them. And here are 18 ways how.

1. Aid relief efforts for those affected by Hurricane Maria.

Want to extend more aid to hurricane-ravaged Puerto Rico than the president? Don't want to just throw paper towels into the crowd? Easy peasy! By donating to organizations such as Unicef, Save the Children, and One America Appeal, your proceeds can directly impact those in dire need of food, clothing and shelter in the ravaged Caribbean.

2. Donate blood.

In waking up to the worst mass shooting in U.S. history on Monday morning, did you feel a need to extend a hand to those who need it most? Well you can! One viable option is to donate blood, for the nearly 500+ injured survivors of the shooting at Mandalay Bay, as well as for others in dire need of blood. Find your local chapter of the American Red Cross here, to see how you can get involved today.

3. Or, donate more than just blood.

You could also donate to the GoFundMe page that’s aiming to raise money for the families of victims and survivors.

4. Know that such massacres can be prevented. And let your representatives know that, too.

If you believe that something needs to be done in regards to gun legislation, beit implementation of background checks (or stronger ones), buyback incentives, or really any sort of action that is not in place at the time being, contact your elected officials and tell them to do something about it!

5. Donate to organizations facing cuts from the Federal Government.

Concerned about the defunding of Planned Parenthood and the services that it provides? Donate money or time or see how to get involved! Same with PBS!

6. Organize a community cleanup!

No one likes when a community is littered with debris and trash. Go out and pick up some garbage. Better yet, recruit a couple of friends to paint the town in cleanliness.

7. Create a Little Free Library.

With a little bit of money, some friends, and a couple old books, you can bring life and a love for reading back to your neighborhood by building your own Little Free Library.

8. Start a community garden.

If you have a green thumb, consider organizing a community garden. If one is already in place, you can donate time and energy into raising some fresh fruits and vegetables. Find a local community garden here.

9. Volunteer at a nursing home.

Have an extra hour or so to spare each week? Spend that free time volunteering for a nursing home or assisted living facility. Often times, such communities are in dire need of volunteers. You can facilitate activities like bingo, arts & crafts, and board games. You may make a friend and will certainly bring joy into the lives of the elderly!

10. Run for local office.

Frustrated with the way of the world? You can literally be the change you wish to see in the world by running for local office. Get some ideas about how to start here.

11. When someone picks up the phone, be there to answer.

Save a life. Volunteer at your local branch of a suicide prevention hotline. Find out how at the Suicide Prevention Lifeline.

12. Pay it forward.

If you’re ordering a coffee or smoothie, pay for the person behind you. Who knows, you may even start a chain reaction!

13. Donate the clothes off your rack.

Hey you. Go to your closet right now. I bet that you can find one pair of shoes, one pair of pants, and/or one shirt that you haven’t worn in the past 6-9 months. And, odds are, if it’s been that long since you’ve last worn it, it’ll probably be another 6-9 months before you wear it again. But there are some people who could really benefit from donations of clothing. Three of the many charities that would gladly receive gently used articles of clothing include Dress for Success, Goodwill, and The Salvation Army.

14. Or, donate toiletries.

I bet that you also have some of those mini toiletries that you stole from hotel bathrooms. They do look cute, but they’d look cuter if they were being used by those in homeless or domestic abuse shelters, as opposed to collecting dust in the back of your linens closet.

15. Volunteer at a local animal shelter.

Help out some furry friends in need. Find an animal shelter near you here.

16. Leave a book for someone to find.

Leave a book in plain sight for someone to stumble upon, pick up, and enjoy. It can be a cheap little read or one of your favorites, but this free little bit of entertainment can mean a lot to someone who just needs an easy distraction from the world for a while. If you want, leave a note telling the finder that they can take it, enjoy it, then pass it on.

17. Literally do all the things you do now, just slightly different.

Are you a gamer or a trivia geek? Well, sites such as Free Rice turn that hobby into positive change. For each question answered correctly, Free Rice donates 10 grains of rice to those who need it most. Or, by simply changing your default search engine, you can literally change the face of the planet. The search engine Ecosia turns your searches into tree-planting initiatives. Save the planet and feed the hungry without giving up the comfort of your own sofa.

18. Smile.

This is by far the easiest thing to do. Just curve your mouth upwards and show off those pearly whites. It doesn’t take hardly anything to do, but it can make a big difference to those who see you. Their outlook for the whole day may even be changed for the better. As my senior quote says, “It’s better to be the one who smiled than the one who didn’t smile back.”

Sometimes the world can seem like it's falling apart at the seams. But never forget: you have more power than you think. You can make a difference, big or small, that, one by one, helps to make our world a better place. All you have to do is get started.