18 Things All High Point University Students Understand

We go to "the most extraordinary school on Earth."

449
www.highpoint.edu

If Disney World and a country club had a baby, the result would be High Point University. Despite the luxuries, we are privileged with what we all know and love, there are many mutual struggles that we all face. And yes-- we actually learn here.

1. Eating at a steakhouse once a week as part of your meal plan.

If you didn't take a picture in front of the 1924 Prime doors, did you even go to Prime? If you're a regular like me, you know exactly what you're ordering before you even get there.

2. The struggle you go through just to get that Prime reservation.

We all know that one friend who is always responsible for making that reservation (unfortunately that friend is me).

3. Is it raining or is that just the fountains?

About 99 percent of the time, it's just the fountains. Passing one of Nido's precious fountains is like being in the splash zone at Sea World.

4. "You go to that military school?"

No, that would be WEST Point. I go to HIGH Point. A military academy and a country club private school are two VERYdifferent things.

5. Knowing Nido's life story better than your own life story.

"I came to America with $50 in my pocket and learned English by studying ten flashcards a night." Admit it, you know this by heart from the number of times you've heard it.

6. Entering another world when you leave "the bubble."

It's a whole different world once you leave the school's gates and the irony is too real. I once saw a guy talking into a deodorant stick in the middle of the street, so there's that.

7. Watching campus turn into the North Pole before winter break.

I swear I saw a new Christmas decoration every day. Giant wreaths, giant Christmas trees, giant Nutcrackers, you name it. The bigger the better, right? To top it all off, Santa even pays us a visit.

8. Orientation weekends equals better food.

The only time I'm excited to eat at the Café is during orientation weekends or when parents are in town. If you time it right, you can even get away with not swiping.

9. Cringing when someone says "the Café" wrong.

We say it like "the CAF," not "the CAF-AY."

10. Those annoying Campus Concierge emails.

Every. Single. Day. If you actually read them, congratulations you're in that 1 percent because the other 99 percent of us instantly press delete.

11. Class registration = "The Hunger Games."

It's never fun being at the bottom of the food chain and being one of the last groups to register. Nothing is more painful than watching the number of class seats dramatically decrease on My Stuff.

12. Even worse than class registration? Housing registration!

Enjoy it while it lasts Freshmen. Once you become a Sophomore, you most likely won't get the housing you want.

13. Even worse than that? Parking!

Admit it, you've gotten multiple tickets for parking in reserved or other illegal parking spots. It was either that or walk all the way across campus.

14. Always being woken up by something.

Whether it's campus enhancement waking you up at 6 a.m. in the morning, or the ice cream truck waking you up from your afternoon nap...

15. Questioning whether the school's mascot is actually a panther or whether it's a pink whale.

You see more students repping the Vineyard Vines pink whale on their cars and laptops than you see them repping "High Point" or the Panthers.

16. Muffin days at the kiosk.

You know it's going to be a good day when you see the kiosk has muffins in the morning. Enough said.

17. Free Stuff!

What other school has a free movie theater, free arcade, and free ice cream truck? Not just that, but I've acquired so many other free things like a T-shirt, teddy bear, and even a selfie stick.

18. Feeling like you go to school at Disney World.

There's just something about being on the Promenade, looking at all of the different countries' flags while classical music is playing that makes me feel like I'm at Epcot. Is it just me?

High Point University truly is the most extraordinary school on earth. Being a High Point student, I can safely say there's no other college like it. With it being summer, I'm sure we can all agree on the things we miss and the things we don't miss. Who's ready to be back in the bubble?