18 Things I Wish I Could Tell My 18-Year-Old Self

You've got a wild ride ahead of you.

135
Iowa Now

With college graduation just around the corner, I've been a little nostalgic about the last four years of my life. I laugh to myself as I remember who I was when I first moved to college. I was 18 years old, 20 pounds lighter, and still didn't like beer that much. I was scared out of my mind, but excited for something new.

As I reflect on the years of my college experience, I have so many reasons to smile. But I can't help to wonder, as time runs out, how much I actually missed out on. If time-travel was realistic, I'd head back to that dorm hall in August of 2013, and I'd tell that younger version of myself a few things.

1. Go to the lame activities.

Believe me I know that nothing sounds less appealing than free hot dogs in the main lounge. But just go, eat the crappy hot dog, and make friends. You have plenty of great friends now, but meet as many people as you can.

2. Dump him.

Surprise! You don't end up with him. So just drop him homegirl.

3. Seek fun, not love.

I have bad news. Four years from now you're still an annoying sap that thinks love stories are real. But I have some good news too. It's possible to function without a relationship. So do it!! Look for fun experiences with friends, don't look for a boyfriend. Boys aren't worth it for a few years yet anyways. They are still growing up, and so are you!

4. Volunteer now.

You eventually end up volunteering. But just start now. It's fun, and you can play with cats! Plus it looks great on a resume, and you meet even more people!

5. Do not go to "Target Takeover".

Just don't. The experience was painful and you will never get that time back.

6. Go to the gym.

Hey little miss thing, this isn't high school anymore, you aren't in school for seven hours and at soccer practice for two. You have class for three to four hours, and plenty of time to stuff your face in between. You will get fat, and regret it every spring break when you wear a swimsuit in public. This is not a game.

7. The dining hall is not an "all you can eat" buffet.

Pretty self-explanatory.

8. Learn to like salad.

*See the last two sentences of #6*

9. Join more organizations.

I know you're shy but get over it!! Join some clubs, meet some people, do some cool stuff. Don't let your social anxiety consume you.

10. Study Abroad.

Just do it dude. Worst case scenario you end up being the next Amanda Knox. Kidding.

11. Be yourself.

This is so incredibly cliche, but it's so perfect. College is different. People sleep in public, they cry, they wear sweatpants, and hide their greasy hair with cute baseball caps. Everyone is in the same boat on this stressful sea of tests, readings, and 7:30 AM lectures. Just do you.

12. Beer is good.

You end up liking it a lot more than you ever thought. Especially Coors Light. Beer is cheaper too.

13. Java House

Another thing you should learn to love is coffee. Speaking of coffee, just go to Java House. You love it. I promise. You'll study a lot there, and you feel happy there.

14. Go home more, but not too much.

The bars will still be there next weekend. Your family might not be. But don't go home every weekend, leave the nest little bird.

15. Change your major.

Your passion is writing, not pharmaceuticals. So just avoid those chemistry courses now. Your GPA will thank you.

16. Don't eat Taco Bell.

I promise it ends really badly for you, and you end up never eating it again anyways. Just avert that disaster now.

17. Kiss everything you think you know "goodbye".

You're going to meet some crazy, fun, borderline insane people in the next few years. They are about to shake your world up like it's stuck inside of a blender bottle. Let them. It helps you grow, and these people become your best friends.

18. Push through.

This is perhaps the most important. Because no matter what you do, no matter how many of the above mentioned pieces of advice you ignore, this one applies. There will be times when you really question everything. Your motivation, your will to live, and just about everything you're doing with your life. Keep going. By the time you round your last corner, it'll all be worth it. You'll be so glad you made it.

My 18-year-old self will never receive this list of suggestions. But my 22-year-old self knows them, and that's what is important. It's never too late to leave your comfort zone behind you.