17 Things We Take For Granted

17 Things We Take For Granted

It's time to remember the little things in life.

455
17 Things We Take For Granted

As eager as everyone is to skip over Thanksgiving and go straight to Christmas, I would like to remind you that it still exists. And while historically, Thanksgiving does not hold the best connotations or memories (and I completely respect that), it can presently be used as a reminder to think about what you are thankful for. I think this is especially important in light of all the bad things that have happened in 2016.

Sometimes, it is difficult to remember or to want to remember the good things in life. When life is dark, whether for a moment or for a long stretch of time, it is hard to see what there is to be thankful for. While I encourage you to make a list of things in your own life you take for granted, I have started one for you to give you some ideas.

1. Being able to breathe with both nostrils

You know when you're sick/have allergies and one or both nostrils are stuffed and the only thing you want is to be able to breathe normally again?

2. Eating without a burned tongue or a mouth ulcer

It's just a sad day when you cannot enjoy eating, so why is it not a happy day when you can eat normally?

3. Baby animals

Enough said.

4. Wi-Fi

Free or unsecured, either way, it's a blessing. Speaking of Wi-Fi

5. The internet

I mean, you wouldn't be reading this article without the internet. Aside from that, while yes, there are a lot of weird and scary things on the internet, you can't deny there are some good points to it, like the ability to keep in touch with people long-distance or contact people who share the same interests as you.

6. Your favorite book/movie/TV show/game

Sure, they might rip your heart out a little, but it's in a good way. Right?

7. Access to clean water

Pretty self-explanatory.

8. Learning

The ability to learn means we have the potential to change and become better than we were yesterday, whether that is in an intellectual, emotional, etc. sense. After all,

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.

9. Music

I don't know what kind of music you listen to, but music is important for a variety of reasons. Maybe you love to sing along off-key with the music cranked as loud as possible. Maybe the lyrics speak to you. Maybe you have an "our song" with your significant other or best friends. Maybe certain music strikes a chord of nostalgia or resonates in you. Whatever your relationship to music is, music is pretty important.

10. The feeling of clothes fresh from the dryer

11. Drinking a hot drink while wrapped in a blanket

Autumn and winter: when you can use the weather as an excuse to stay in and just be cozy.

12. Anything worth having a memory of

13. Rain

California has been in a drought so I'm thankful for any rain we can get. While I know rain can be destructive, it can also bring new life. Also, it's great for looking out the window dramatically

14. People

I don't always love people, but you can learn a lot from them.

15. Nature

For reminding us there is effortless beauty and cycles of life all around us. Also for giving us oxygen. That's pretty important, too.

16. The ability to read this article

It's not this article that I'm thankful for, of course. Literacy is a gift we take for granted.

17. Tomorrow

Tomorrow is not a second chance for today. Tomorrow is the opportunity for something new. And I think we all need that.

---------

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! Now it's your turn to add to the list: what are some little things in your life you forget to be thankful for?