17 Songs With A Story That Will Tear At Your Heartstrings, Creep You Out Or Lift Your Spirits

Whether they have set beginnings, middles, and ends or they allude to something bigger going down, here are 17 songs that tell a story.
350

Have you ever had that moment when you listen, really listen, to the lyrics of a song that you thought you've loved for a long time, only to discover it had some deeper meaning or story behind its lyrics? Those moments are the best. Now, with the some of these songs you can't help but understand the exact thing that the singer was trying to convey. Nevertheless, they are worthy. Whether they have set beginnings, middles and ends or they allude to something bigger going down, here are 17 songs that tell a story.

1. "Dirty Paws" by Of Monsters and Men

"They had a pet dragonfly

The dragonfly, it ran away
But it came back with a story to say."

This mellow tune by Of Monsters and Men is actually a whimsical ballad about a war between forest creatures.

2. "Keep On Keeping On" by Travie McCoy ft. Brendon Urie

"He spent most of his youth with his head down,
Chuby, fugly, awkward walk,
And not much of a talker."

A young boy with a rough life grows up to be successful in, with his wings serving as a powerful metaphor for moving past difficulties.

3. "Hotel California" by The Eagles

"Up ahead in the distance, I saw a shimmering light
My head grew heavy and my sight grew dim
I had to stop for the night

"

This classic favorite is actually a creepy tale about the experience of a man that checks into a haunted hotel.

4. "The Zombie Song" by Stephany Mabey

"Our love story,
Could be kinda gory
ar from boring
We'd meet at a post-apocalypse"

This cutesy tune is a zombie girl's promise to her crush who, spoiler alert, isn't exactly dead... yet.

5. "Hero of War" by Rise Against

"He said son, have you seen the world?
Well, what would you say if I said that you could
Just carry this gun, you'll even get paid

I said that sounds pretty good"Here is the emotional plight of a soldier who didn't know what he was getting into.

6. "Forever and Always" by Parachute

"She's sitting at the table
The hour's getting later
He was supposed to be here
She's sure he would've called.

"

A girl expecting her love instead gets the worst news of her life. To be honest, I cried the first time I heard this song.

7. "Stan" Eminem

"Dear Slim, I wrote you but still ain't callin'
I left my cell, my pager, and my home phone at the bottom
I sent two letters back in autumn, you must not-a got 'em
There probably was a problem at the post office or somethin'

"

A dedicated fan writes letters to his idol, growing increasingly agitated until one day... he snaps.

8. "Partners in Crime" by Set It Off ft. Ash Costello

"This, the tale of reckless love
Living a life of crime on the run
A brush to a gun
We paint these states green... and red."

A modern-day Bonnie and Clyde make their final stand.

9. "Sk8ter Boi" by Avril Lavigne

"He was a boy,
She was a girl,
Can I make it any more obvious?"

This is a punky passive-aggressive tune aimed at a girl that turns up her nose at a boy who didn't quite meet her standards.

10. "Terrible Things" by Mayday Parade

"By the time I was your age, I'd give anything,
To fall in love truly was all I could think
That's when I met your mother, the girl of my dreams

In this sad tune, the narrator is a father telling his young son why falling in love isn't worth the heartbreak.

11. "Bruises" by Train ft. Ashley Monroe

"Haven't seen you since high school,

Good to see you're still beautiful,
Gravity hasn't started to pull
Quite yet, I bet you're rich as hell."

Two old friends meet up again, catching up and possible rekindling something...

12. "Say You Won't Let Go" by James Arthur

"I met you in the dark, you lit me up
You made me feel as though I was enough
We danced the night away, we drank too much
I held your hair back when, you were throwing up

"

This soulful ballad features a lovestruck narrator recounting the story of meeting the love of his life.

13. "Irreplaceable" by Beyoncé

"To the left, to the left,
Everything you own in a box to the left,
In the closet, that's my stuff,
If I bought it, please don't touch."

This is a sassy farewell from a woman to her new ex.

14. "Thriller" by Michael Jackson

"It's close to midnight,
And something evil's lurking in the dark.
Under the moonlight,
You see a sight that almost stops your heart."

This classic chronicles the frightening plight of a protagonist being pursued by horrifying monsters.

15. "Tom's Diner" by Suzanne Vega

"I am sitting
In the morning
At the diner
On the corner"

This song is about a woman's uneventful day at the diner. Fans of Fall Out Boy's "Centuries" will recognize the line they sampled from this song.

16. "Crying Game" by Cady Groves

"Woke up to snow, it's Christmas again,
But you're still not home, got thrown in the pen
And I'm six years old, sitting there thinking,
'Why am I always alone?'"

Cady Groves recounts her childhood and various family experiences in her pseudo-cheerful song.

17. "Kim" by Eminem

"Aw look at daddy's baby girl
That's daddy baby
Little sleepy head
Yesterday I changed your diaper"

This violent ballad is based on the relationship between Eminem and his ex-wife Kim, and, well... don't listen to it with kids around.