17 Unmistakable Signs You Grew Up In Mendham, NJ

Mendham has a special place in your heart and always will.

803

1. You attended the tree burning annually as a tradition with your family

You always loved the free hot chocolate and bring your family every chance you get. The Tree Burning is a time where families come together and finalize the holiday season.

2. You always had cash on you in case you want to go to the Wicker Basket

As a Mendhamite, you know that Wicker Basket only accepts cash and have also seen people come in with credit. You have a go-to sandwich every single time and rarely stray from it.

3. You went to Mendham Borough Day Camp or have kids who now go.

This was the day camp where you met some of your closest friends. If you didn't go, you might have kids who are meeting lifelong friends there. Brookside beach was the best part once you hit third grade.

4. You’ve been to the four lane bowling alley called Pastime Lanes and loved every second of it

You could go to a larger bowling alley with more lanes and strobe lights galore- but the feeling of being close to home while having a good time with friends got you to come back to Pastime Lanes every single time. Also- it was the only form of entertainment in the town.

5. The carnival was the best time and the worst time because it meant school was coming.

Ah...the Labor Day carnival. This is a time where you see old friends, get to go on rides, and play games. It's the biggest event in Mendham and everyone knows it. For one weekend a year, our town becomes a whole new place. Then, as soon as Tuesday morning hits- the entire carnival is gone and nobody knows how they took it all down so quickly.

6. You haven't missed a Labor Day parade ever.

This parade is one of the highlights in our town. It's a time to thank volunteers for their work, spend time with family, and get to see your loved ones in the parade. Either you have been in the parade, or know someone who has been in the parade.

7. Robinson’s Drug Store was the best place for treats after school as a kid

Running from Hilltop/ Mountain View to get a sweet treat after school was the best time. You wanted to get there first so that you wouldn't have to wait in the long line. On special days when you got an extra dollar, you could maybe even get a small toy.

8. You could walk to some places but if you wanted to go to a chain, you had to drive out of town

You didn't really mind this, though. The way Mendham stays classic makes you smile as you drive through town. There's no Dunkin' Donuts anywhere in this town and for the townies, it's the best thing. It just means less traffic through our little quaint town.

9. The Black Horse Pub was a highlight for dinner.

Graduation dinner? Black Horse. Family outing? Black Horse. Any special occasion meant going to the Black Horse Pub. You have a favorite dish and stick to it (for the most part).

10. You are a part of at least one Facebook group that has to do with Mendham.

There is always a fresh topic about what's going on in town- and you can find it on the About Mendham Facebook page. Even if you haven't officially met someone, you feel like you have because of this web page. It brings our town together to share memories that we wouldn't be able to share without the group.

11. You know most people in town and can never leave your house without seeing at least one person you know.

Sometimes you chose to stay in for this reason, other times you don't care. It all depends on the day. You can't go to the Kings Shopping Plaza without running into Sally or Phil. When you do see them, it turns into an hour long conversation and you realize that going to Shoprite might have been the quicker (and cheaper) choice.

12. You know the “rich” Mendham stereotypes but don’t care because you know you’re more than just your wallet.

Whenever you bring up that you are from Mendham to anyone outside of the town, they suddenly think you are the richest human being alive. They sometimes even comment...Oh you must be so rich. or How does it feel to live in such a safe town-must be expensive. There are many stereotypes that come with our town but we know that we are not defined by our wallets, but the content of our hearts.

13. You have been involved with Twin Boro Bears Football/ Cheerleading at one time or another.

Whether you are a parent, child, or supporter...you have found your way to a Twin Boro Bears game at some point in your life. No matter what age group you go for, it ends up being a good game that will be remembered. The Bears create memories for both young boys and girls as they get older- something that can never be replaced.

14. You remember the Mendham Book Store and wish it would come back.

As a book lover, this was my ultimate favorite place to go and a plus was that it was so close to home. If you needed a book for your book report, you knew that the store had your back. You also loved when famous celebrities such as R.L. Stine and Shaquille O'Neil would stop by for a visit.

15. You have at least one story of meeting a celebrity in Mendham

There are many celebrities that have lived in Mendham from Chris Christie to Whitney Houston. You might even have a story about Peter Dinklage from Game of Thrones. Mendham is notorious for these celebrities and you know that you have bragged at least once about your town and how famous it is.

16. You love the annual fishing derby even if you don’t fish.

This event is extremely relaxing and fun at the same time. On a gorgeous day, we all get to enjoy hotdogs and hamburgers while fishing. The smell of the grill, the excitement of catching a fish, and the bonding time with family are irreplaceable.

17. This town is your home and no matter where you go- you come back from time to time.

At the end of the day, no matter where you are now, Mendham is your true home. You will always know at least a dozen people to come and visit. Mendham has a special place in your heart and always will.