17 Things My First Semester Of College Taught Me

"8: Coffee is a beautiful thing, especially when it's free."

21

We did it. We survived the first semester of college. As a second-semester freshman, I believe that I have garnered a plethora of wisdom during the first four months of my college experience. I have learned much during my short time in university, and I continue to grow in knowledge of what it is like to truly be a successful college student. I brought expectations with me when I first set foot on campus, but those expectations were quickly overthrown by several truths that I would like to share so that those who follow in our footsteps may be adequately prepared to face the first semester of their journey in higher education.

1. No one cares if you wear the same shirt two (or more) days in a row.

I was so relieved when I discovered this truth about college life. Indeed, as I sit here now, I am wearing the same shirt for the second time in the past three days. Rule of thumb: if it doesn't smell, you can still wear it. Unfortunately, there do exist those individuals who wear the same shirt repeatedly without caring whether it smells.

2. Naps are life-changing.

Anyone who has not experienced the restorative power of a nap has not truly lived. You may have survived high school without napping, but developing a habit of napping in college has endless benefits. Never again will you dose off in stats or Spanish.

3. One probably shouldn't eat pizza every day at the caf....

So apparently eating pizza for every meal every day is not the healthiest of habits to have in college, especially when combined with extensive sitting and office work. Pizza, as wonderful as it may be, may not be as nutritious as you hope or pray it is.

4. Cs get degrees.

Unless you need to get into a competitive graduate school, it's okay if you don't ace every test. For example, I can count every test grade that I got that was less than an A on one hand while I was in high school. Conversely, college taught me that sometimes getting a 70 or an 80 on a test is worth celebrating because it means I didn't fail.

5. If an event has free food and/or free t-shirts, go.

As a college student, there are two key things that compel me to attend campus events: free food and free t-shirts. By the end of your first semester, you will find that at least a quarter of your wardrobe consists of free t-shirts that you received at various student life events. Free food is another great motivator since it provides an easy alternative to the typical meal at the caf. Next time they offer free burgers or cupcakes, seize the opportunity. You don't know when the next time will be.

6. You don't need as much sleep as you think you do.

Prior to coming to college, I was homeschooled. That meant that for the four years I was in high school, I could wake up and go to bed whenever I wanted. During my senior year, I typically began classes at 9 am. All of that changed, however, when college forced me to create a different schedule. I was forced to relinquish my daily intake of 8 to 9 hours of sleep and exchange it for the hope of getting maybe 7 and a half hours of sleep. Coffee, tea, and other caffeinated beverages are a must during college. It's okay if you're sleep deprived and look like a zombie, however, because everyone else is in the same boat as you are.

7. One should attempt to eat salad every day.

Ew, healthy foods. But seriously, when you get to college, you are completely responsible for your eating habits. You could eat a whole tub of cookie dough for dinner and no one would make you do otherwise (not that I'm speaking from personal experience). Greens and vegetables are important, at least that's what they say, so I definitely recommend that you try to eat something healthy every day. Maybe get a bowl of salad to go with your pizza because that's how it works, right?

8. Coffee is a beautiful thing, especially when it's free.

It was finals week. On a chilly December morning, I entered the Sellar, a place on campus where students can hang out, and I was greeted by a warm pot of coffee and an assortment of different-flavors of creamer. I was tired. I had a final coming up that afternoon. The sight of coffee, free coffee, is a heartening thing.

9. The only time my dorm room is clean is during the five minutes of weekly room checks.

Most of the time, there's dirty clothes in the corner, papers on my desk, and the occasional wrapper scattered here and there. Don't get me wrong; my roommate and I are not filthy or super messy, but let's just say you can tell that people live here when you walk into our dorm room.

10. Class starts at 9? You can get up at 8:50.

Last semester, my roommate introduced me to the invaluable skill of being able to roll out of bed and be sitting in class within 10 minutes. This skill enables you to get more sleep, which is always a plus when you're in college. Since the acceptable appearance of a college student can include bloodshot eyes, bags under the eyes, re-worn clothing, and messy hair, no one cares if, 10 minutes ago, you were sound asleep in your dorm room.

11. Avoid 8 am's when possible.

Trust me, all of those high hopes of getting an early start every day and those good intentions that drove you to sign up for 8 ams, MWF, do not take into account how tired you will be after pulling an all-nighter for your chemistry exam at 8 on Monday morning.

12. When you want to prolong the time between showers, dry shampoo works wonderfully.

If you haven't already, go ahead and invest in some dry shampoo because it will change your life and save you so much time in the long run. Pro tip: if you don't have time to use dry shampoo, throw a baseball cap on and you're good to go.

13. Denny's value menu is fantastic for the typical college student.

In addition to having incredible coffee, Denny's should be the hangout place for every college student because of its fantastic value menu. You can't beat a $2 quesadilla. I've gone there so many times that I know the value menu by heart. My appetite and my wallet both love the place, so find a Denny's nearby the next time you go out with friends, and you will not be disappointed.

14. If you get sick, take medicine; don't tough it out.

I'm definitely a hypocrite when it comes to this one, but don't do what I do and wait to see the doctor because you think you'll get better soon enough. It's no fun being sick while taking your A&P practical or coughing a thousand times during the lecture.

15. See people wearing pajamas in the caf and sleeping virtually anywhere? Don't worry--it's just finals week.

When you have to stay up all night studying, you might as well just keep the pajamas on when its time to get up and go back to studying.

16. The library is a fantastic place. You should go there sometime.

Moment of confession: I only studied in the library once my entire first semester of college. By the second semester, however, I was there at least three times in the first week.

17. You don't have to do everything.

It took me a semester, but I finally learned that you don't have to take every opportunity you have to go to an event, be with friends, or get involved in something. Balance is key when it comes to how you spend your time in college.