17 Positive News Stories From 2017

17 Positive News Stories From 2017

Hate will never win.

536
17 Positive News Stories From 2017
MSNBC

With all of the negativity in the world right now, it's important to look for the good. If you're like me and tired of watching the 7 o'clock everything Trump-related and more news, positive headlines are refreshing and worth the read. With that said, here's a list of 17 positive things that 2017 has brought us thus far:

1. After almost a century, Einstein's theory of gravitational waves was not only proven, but reproduced by two physics professors at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Kip Thorne and Barry Barish received the Nobel Prize in Physics for successfully proving and reproducing Einstein's general theory of relativity. For those of you who aren't science geeks, this is a huge deal for the physics community and really insane to watch in action. If given the time, I definitely recommend reading more into it.

2. Germany and Taiwan legalize gay marriage, bringing the international total of countries that recognize gay marriage to twenty-two.

Karl Kreile and Bodo Mende made history on October 1st as they became the first gay couple to legally wed in Schöneberg, Berlin. Following suit, Taiwan joined force - which is another big leap forward in supporting their country's vast LGBTQ population. Not only does this law change allow for legal marriage between men and women of the same sex, this law also gives way for fair tax advantages, as well as equal adoption rights.

3. As if that wasn't enough, Ireland's first openly gay prime minister was elected.

Leo Varadkar, the son of an Indian immigrant, made international headlines as he became the youngest and first openly gay prime minister to ever be elected into Ireland office. He is beloved by his country and serves as an inspiring example that everything and anything is possible, even in the midst of tragic times.

4. Kathy Switzer, the first woman to ever enter and complete the Boston Marathon, runs again 50 years later with the same bib number.

50 years after Kathy Switzer made history as the 1st woman to ever successfully enter and complete the Boston Marathon - she's done it again but this time, no one tried to rip off her bib number in the process. She finished the marathon in just under 5 hours and was deemed the great honor by the Boston Athletic Association through the retirement of her bib number #261. To say she is an inspiration to women everywhere would be an understatement.

5. Tunisia lifts ban on Muslim women marrying non-Muslim men.

This decades-old ban was finally abolished, marking a significant step towards equality for Muslim women not only in Tunisia but in all third and second world countries. With this abolishment, Tunisia is now viewed as the front-runner of Arab countries in terms of women's rights.

6. Following suit, Suadi Arabia lifted it's driving ban for women too.

This watershed moment stunned millions as Saudi Arabia lifted it's decades-old driving ban for women. To say this critical decision is impactful would be an understatement as there is now no country in the world that refuses a woman the right to obtain a legal license and drive.

7. Pakistan welcomes a transgender option on all legal passports and even issues it's first passport with the transgender box checked.

For a country as conservative as Pakistan, this is a huge step forward not only for it's residents but also for the country's LGBTQ community. The transgender option on legal passports is a step towards cracking down on some of the country's fundamental issues at heart.

8. Seven-year-old Hailey Dawson achieves goal of throwing first pitch at every MLB park with her newly 3D-printed hand.

Born with an undeveloped right hand due to Poland Syndrome, 5-year-old Hailey Dawson set out in 2015 to throw the first pitch at every MLB ballpark with her kick-ass 'Flexy Hand.' Nearly two years later, she has completed her mission at the ripe age of 7 and did so while tugging at the heartstrings of everyone in America

9. Brock Turner is the definition of rape in a college textbook. Yep, you heard that right!

Do you hear that? It's the sound of sweet, sweet justice and it's been served cold via a criminal justice textbook. I have never wanted a textbook in my life so much.

10. New York City's police department welcomes Kiah aboard, the first pit-bull to ever serve as a police dog in their state.

If you're a pit-bull mom or you just love the loyal breed, this is a huge deal and totally cool! Plus, have you seen the induction pictures of Kiah into the force? I'm not crying... you are.

11. An emergency mapping app has surfaced that makes it easier to find vulnerable people faster in natural disasters, etc.

Finding people quickly in the case of natural disasters and other crisis situations can be a matter of life and death. Luckily, an emergency mapping app called "MapSwipe" has surfaced that can help find people quickly during these crucial times.

12. Real life Spiderman shows up to help in Florida after Hurricane Irma.

Yes, you heard that right. Spiderman seemingly took a break from promoting his new movie and showed up in the backyards of multiple Florida residents after the devastating aftermath left by Hurricane Irma. He cleaned up trash and helped clear the way so people could safely evacuate from their battered homes. Maybe superheroes are real, after all?! Either way, my faith in humanity has been restored a little bit.

13. José Andrés, a celebrity chef, has made over 45,000 meals for the victims of Hurricane Maria.

And he's charged nothing. Taking time away from his restaurants and TV appearances, Andrés personally traveled to the island of Puerto Rico to help service the country in light of Hurricane Maria. He hopes to make over a million meals before the month is up!

14. Teenage suicide attempts among HS Students has dropped by 7%.

Having recently lost a fellow classmate to suicide, this topic hits a little close to home. To hear that these numbers have dropped in the slightest is a big deal. We, as a nation, can only hope that this continues.

15. The life expectancy of people with HIV in Europe and North America is now 'near-normal.'

Thanks to new drugs and alternative therapy, people affected with the HIV virus are now expected to have an increased life expectancy of 10+ years.

16. Serena Williams wins the Australian Open against her sister, earning her 23rd Grand Slam title.

Did I mention that she did all of this while pregnant? Talk about being a total bad ass. Williams has proven herself to be the greatest female tennis player of our era and it's things like this that only add to her incredible status.

17. Illinois man drives to Las Vegas and puts up handmade crosses in honor of mass shooting victims.

Greg Zanis lost no family or friends to the deadly Las Vegas shooting but he still felt compelled to do something special. Upon hearing the news, Zanis made the drive from Illinois to Nevada and lined the "Welcome to Las Vegas!" pathway with handmade wooden crosses to honor those who lost their lives on October 2nd. The crosses have made national news and many families/friends of the victims have since gathered to decorate the crosses with pictures and memorabilia to honor their lost loved ones.

2017 has had its fair share of heartache but it's crucial, now more than ever, to not let the negativity get you down. Hate will never win; love is here to stay!