17 Necessary Items For A Semester In Europe

Do not, under any circumstance, forget headphones.

84
Solo Friendly

This past semester I have been studying abroad at a beautiful manor in the English countryside. I have spent my weekends taking new adventures to many amazing places. Throughout my travels I have learned so much about making traveling easy. Here is a list of must-haves when spending a semester in Europe.

1. Big Backpack

When you only spend three or so days somewhere, you really don't need to take that much. Plan our outfits, roll them military style, and organize your backpack as efficiently as possible. I used just a regular backpack that I've had for years and it worked just fine. You would be surprised how much you can fit when you have a packing system.

2. Neck Pillow

Not sure what I would have done without this bad boy. It makes airport sleepovers and sleeping on the plane so much easier. You can easily hook them on the strap of your backpack. These are definitely worth the $10 investment.

3. Travel Lock

When you're constantly staying in hostels with strangers, travel locks are super important. They're an easy way to prevent theft. You can use them on lockers, or on your backpack/suitcase when traveling. Most are relatively inexpensive. I bought mine for £3.

4. Passport Holder

These are a great way to keep all of your important documents safe and organized. If you are like me and have a student visa letter that you have to take with you to get back into the country you're staying in, a passport holder is a good place to keep it. You should be able to find some cheap ones online.

5. Coats

Depending on the season you're traveling in, you will likely need a variety of coats and jackets. I traveled throughout Fall, so I had a light sweatshirt, a rain jacket, a leather jacket, and a pea coat for the cold. Many of my various destinations had different weather, so I always made sure to pack the appropriate coat for wherever I was going.

6. Hiking Boots/Comfortable Shoes

I mostly bounced between wearing a regular pair of boots with gel inserts and Nike tennis shoes. Many of my classmates wore Bean Boots, as they are comfortable and water proof. I recommend finding a nice pair of comfortable boots that are both practical and stylish. I also recommend black or plain colored tennis shoes that you can wear with jeans or leggings.

7. Portable Charger

This is one of the most important items on my list. I honestly don't know what I would have done without my portable charger, as it saved the day multiple times. When you use your phone a lot for maps and navigating, it tends to kill the battery. Also, some hostels have a limited number of outlets. I recommend the My Charge portable charger. This is the one I have used and it has incredible battery life.

8. Dramamine/Nausea Medicine

If you're anything like me, you have a tendency to get motion sickness. I would sometimes spend whole days traveling via train, bus, plane, and taxi and the nausea would make my day miserable. Save yourself the sickness and invest in some Dramamine.

9. Offline Maps

If you're traveling without an international data plan, offline maps are a must have. City Maps 2 Go is a great app that lets you download city maps and save locations. You only get two free downloads, but if you delete the app and redownload it, you get another 2 free downloads. You can also download offline maps via Google Maps. If you have wifi, I recommend planning your route via Google Maps. If you have it loaded, it will still work when you lose wifi.

10. Purse/Handbag/Satchel

Having a bag or purse that you can safely store things in is important when traveling. Be sure that whatever you choose is fairly pickpocket proof. The purse I used had a zipper as well as a flap that went over the zipper and buttoned. Be sure to keep your hands on it at all times when in large crowds!

11. Reusable Water Bottle

These are a great way to save money and help the environment. Fill them up from any sink or drinking fountain. But, be sure they're empty before you go through airport security.

12. Headphones/Earbuds

Please, please do not forget headphones. They make all of those hours spent on a train, plane, bus, etc more bearable. Music not your thing? Well, you're in luck! Netflix just released offline downloads for certain shows and movies.

13. Pictures of ID/Passport on Phone

Just in case anything were to happen, it's important to keep photos of your identification on your phone. Also, be sure to store printed out copies of all of your credit cards and IDs wherever you're residing.

14. Small Tupperware

Having some small containers to store snacks can save you money in the long run. Make sandwiches or pack snacks ahead of time and save yourself some money. They're super easy to fit into your backpack and reusable.

15. Nice Camera

Having a nice camera, or at least a travel buddy with a camera, is well worth it. These are once in a lifetime pictures that you are going to want in high quality. Trust me, iPhone cameras have no comparison to a real camera.

16. Willingness to Talk to Strangers

Sometimes those offline maps can get confusing, or you're not sure which bus to get on. You should be willing to ask a local for directions or advice. In most cities, people are typically pretty helpful when you ask for help. If it's scary at first, that's okay. I promise it will get easier with time.

17. Confidence

Traveling can be intimidating sometimes. You're waking up in foreign places where you don't know the streets or the language. Fear will only hold you back. It's all part of the experience. Have fun, and enjoy seeing the world.