2017 was a year full of happiness, heartbreak, laughter, tears, realization, and growth. Here is a list of 17 lessons I've learned throughout the course of 2017 - here's to even more growth in 2018.
1. The friends you made in high school might not be your friends once you graduate, and that's okay.
Nothing lasts forever, not even best friendships; but don't use that as an excuse to not get close to people. You should make that a reason to cherish the friends you have while you have them.
2. It's okay to remove toxic people from your life.
The only person you have to live with for the rest of your life is yourself. If someone is toxic to your wellbeing, whether it be emotionally, mentally, or physically, you have every right to walk away. You should never feel guilty for doing what's best for you.
3. Life doesn't always go as planned, sometimes you have to go to Plan B, and sometimes even Plan C.
Sometimes life throws you curveballs, but don't let that discourage you. Always have a back up plan.
4. Your mental health is more important than your grades.
Being so hellbent on getting an A that you stop caring about yourself is a one way street to self destruction, I promise. Put down that book and get some sleep. Say yes to going out with your friends once in a while. Live a little.
5. There are people you have not met yet who will love you more than people you have known for your entire life.
Don't waste your time crying over a boy/girl who doesn't care. The best is yet to come, I promise.
6. You shouldn't let a messy past keep you from having a beautiful present.
Don't waste your time longing for something that was, learn to appreciate what is. Why sulk about something you can't change?
7. Your parents are ALWAYS right about your friends.
Even though you'll never tell them, deep down inside you know that they've been right about every single bad friend you've ever had. They'll also always be right about every significant other you'll ever have. Trust them, even if what they say isn't exactly what you want to hear- they really do only want what's best for you.
8. There's never such thing as too much coffee.
Tired? Coffee. Thirsty? Coffee. Stressed out? Coffee. Happy? Coffee. Sad? Coffee. Coffee is always the answer to every problem you'll ever have. And it's never too cold for an iced coffee. Like ever.
9. Some things just aren't meant to be.
You wouldn't water a dead flower, would you? What's the point of putting time and energy into something that will never happen? Respect yourself enough to know that what's best for you is to move on.
10. Not everyone has the same heart as you.
Not everyone's intentions are always as pure as yours, but you shouldn't let that turn you cold. Love with no regrets.
11. Sometimes bad things happen to good people.
It never makes sense. You just have to have faith that everything will work out.
12. Sometimes you have to forgive someone even though you know you'll never receive an apology.
Holding a grudge against someone who will never see fault in their actions is exhausting. Even though they'll never apologize for what they've done, forgive them. Forgive them for your own sanity. Don't allow it to eat away at you until there's nothing left. You'll feel so much better, I promise.
13. Communication is key.
People can't read minds. Tell them when they've done something that hurt you. Be truthful with others, always.
14. We all need a fresh start once in a while.
It's okay to feel as though you want to start over. A little change of scenery is always refreshing.
15. There's always something to be thankful for.
Whether it be the roof over your head, the food on your table, or the fact that you woke up today - there's always something. Never stop being thankful.
16. Hard work always pays off in the long run.
Determination and hard work will get you anywhere you want to be. You just have to be willing to put in the work, just trust the process.
17. A lot can change in a year.
A year ago, I would have never imagined that my life would turn out to be the way it is right now. Day by day, it seems as though nothing changes, but when you look back over the course of a year, nothing is the same. Growth isn't possible without change. Embrace it.