17 Things I Learned In 2017

17 Things I Learned In 2017

17 things I learned other than how to become a microwaving master
1886

2017 was a year of ups and downs. The new year brought new people, new adventures, and ended things and relationships that I thought would never end. Through the good and the bad, I learned 17 lessons that I wish I learned a while ago.

1. Relationships end and that is okay

My relationship ended on the second day of the new year, which also happened to be my birthday, and I thought the world was over. I cried my eyes out, ate a ton of ice cream, and thought I would be alone forever, but that wasn't the case. I got closer to friends, let new people in, and learned a lot about myself.

2. Time really flies by

I graduated in May of 2017 and let me tell you, those four years of high school really fly by. I still remember the outfit I wore on my first day of freshman year in high school, and to this day, I still regret it.

3. Laughter is the best remedy to fix anything

Broken heart? Stressed out? Scared of change and the future? Check, check, and check. Take a break, go get some tacos, and hang out with your friends. Laughter and good company can make any situation better.

4. Being single is different, but nice

I was in a long relationship and when I became single again, it was definitely strange. The change was somewhat of a culture shock, but it was very cool too. I figured out myself, what I wanted, and didn't have to worry about surrounding myself with someone else.

5. Tinder is actually more than a hookup app

When I decided I wanted to get back out into the dating scene, I downloaded Tinder and it was actually fun. I didn't use it for the hookup aspect of the app, but I just wanted to get to know different people. I made tons of friends, who I am still friends with to this day, and I even got a boyfriend out of it!

6. Change is scary

That's honestly it. Change is very scary and people don't want to think about it.

7. But change is also good for the soul

Though it is scary, change is good for us. Being so set in a routine is nice, that when change comes along, it intimidates us, but it is a refreshing and a very nice change of pace.

8. College is what I was waiting for my whole life

College is honestly the best thing that has ever happened to me. Taking classes that interest me, making friends with people I never thought I would've become friends with, and making Mac N Cheese at 3 AM without my mom yelling at me: It's literally a dream come true!

9. Spending time with good company is so much better than partying

Let's be honest, who would rather pick douchey frat boys over face masks and wine with their girlfriends?

10. Partying gets old very quick

Two parties for the semester was more than enough for me. I would rather stay in and watch a shitty Netflix movie with my boyfriend than get drunk off of some cheap beer every Friday and Saturday night.

11. It's okay to be emotional

Whether you feel on top of the world or you want to curl up in a ball and cry your eyes out, it is okay to show your feelings off to the world!

12. Sometimes relationships drift apart, and it's okay

One of the most important lessons I have learned in 2017 is that friendships won't always stay forever. Even if you want your high school friends to stay, they more than likely won't, and it is okay. People move on to bigger and better things.

13. Cherish the moments you had in those old relationships

Even if you don't talk to your old friends much anymore, cherish those times you had together. Looking back at old Snapchat memories is always the best and a quick way to get your laughs in for the day!

14. Take pictures and videos of beautiful moments

Being in the moment is great, but snapping a photo to relive it is amazing too. I'll always be able to relive meeting Walk The Moon with the insane amounts of pictures and videos I took!

15. Be yourself

Don't change yourself to try to appeal to other people. Don't apologize for being yourself. If people don't like you for being you, let them go.

16. No matter how bad the situation may seem, life always goes on

And somehow it seems to get better after a while. Though the situation probably sucks, everything works out if you give it time!

And lastly, I have learned that...

17. I still have a lot to learn

I'm only 18. I'm still young and though I have learned this much throughout my short-lived life so far, I still have so much to learn about myself, my life, and the world itself!

So thank you 2017. Thank you for shedding the light on all of these lessons for me. Thank you for allowing me to grow, allowing me to meet new people through these lessons, and preparing me for the future! I cannot wait to take on 2018 with the things I have learned!