17 Irish Proverbs Every College Kid Should Live By

146

In honor of St. Patrick's Day's passing, here are some Irish proverbs to keep in mind during your college days.

1. However long the day, night must fall. Even if it was the bar crawl from St. Patrick's Day.

2. You must take the little potato with the big potato. Sometimes it's hard to spot the little potato, while other times it's really easy.

3. Everyone feels his own wound first. Especially against the hard. cement. pavement.

4. Pity him who makes opinion a certainty. Pity the ignorance.

5. Who keeps his tongue keeps his friends. Some things aren't worth fighting over.

6. A heavy purse makes a light heart. Which is convenient, since we're all broke college students.

7. A cat can look at a king. We'll be the king one day.

8. You won't learn to swim on the kitchen floor. You won't do anything productive on the kitchen floor.

9. Slow is every foot on an unknown path. Also, unknown paths are not to be trekked on alone.

10. Forgetting a debt doesn't mean it's paid. And it doesn't mean that the person who lent you money forgot it either.

11. Lie down with dogs and you'll rise with fleas. You are who you hang out with; just make sure your friends don't have fleas.

12. Beauty won't make the kettle boil. Beauty is temporary, but brains are forever.

13. Young people don't know what old age is, and old people forget what youth was. Which is why professors schedule your midterm the day before spring break.

14. The schoolhouse bell sounds bitter in youth and sweet in old age. One day we will reminiscence about that midterm the day before spring break.

15. Lose an hour in the morning and you'll be looking for it all day. Procrastination is not key.

16. It's the first drop that destroys you, there's no harm at all in the last. Even if it destroys you, no one likes a quitter.

17. A man takes a drink, the drink takes a drink, the drink takes the man. Don't let the drink take you.