17 Hobbies To Pick Up in 2017

17 Hobbies To Pick Up in 2017

The New Year is all about trying new things.

426
17 Hobbies To Pick Up in 2017
Serving Joy

It's finally the New Year! 2017 is here, with more promise than any year before it. New years are typically the times when we try out different resolutions, which we often don't stick to. What if we abandoned our impossible resolutions in favor of making a promise to try new things? Hobbies are a great way to learn new skills and broaden your horizons. So here are 17 hobbies you can pick up in 2017. Who knows, you might just find your new passion.

1. Journaling

Writing down your thoughts and feelings in a journal can be extremely therapeutic--and fun! Not to mention that in a few years time, your journal will be the perfect time capsule to look back on your life.

2. Meditation

Taking 10 minutes out of your day to just be with yourself in your own headspace can offer insights about your life that you may have never considered. It's also a great way to relieve anxiety and stress.

3. Calligraphy

Learning this ancient craft will ensure that your handwriting is always legible... and prepare you to start addressing your holiday cards!

4. Reading

Is there really anything better than curling up with a good book?

5. Theatre

Becoming involved at your local theatre can really change your life for the better... once you've gotten the show tunes out of your head, of course.

6. Painting

Whether it's watercolor, acrylic, or oil painting, you don't have to be da Vinci to create something you love--and enjoy doing it!

7. Learning a New Language

Learning to speak another language can really pave the way for new opportunities and it looks great on a resume. It also really comes in handy if you love to travel.

8. Embroidery

Embroidering is basically doodling with a needle and thread. You can make beautiful gifts to give family and friends, or hoard them all for yourself. No judgment here.

9. Coloring

Yes, coloring is for adults and it's totally a hobby! Let Crayola make a come back into your office supplies; you won't regret it.

10. Learning to Play an Instrument

Being able to play your favorite song is a talent very few can say they possess.

11. Blogging

Keeping a blog is as rewarding as journaling. Just keep in mind that your writing can be visible to the public!

12. Dancing

Many towns offer different dance classes for beginners. Not only will a dance class make you cultured, but you'll also get a great workout!

13. Gardening

Growing your own food or just pretty plants in general is a great way to learn patience and responsibility. It'll also add some vibrant colors to your home!

14. Running

If you can get past the initial hatred of fire in your lungs and leg muscles, running can be a great stress reliever. You can even begin competing in races to win some cash and other cool prizes.

15. Knitting

The best thing about learning how to knit is that you'll never run out of cozy socks.

16. Trivia

Check and see if a restaurant or bar in your area hosts trivia nights. Packing your brain full of random information is a great way to make good conversation--and be awesome at Jeopardy!

17. Volunteering

Perhaps the most rewarding hobby you can take up this year is volunteering. Words can't fully express how great it feels to give back to your community.

The New Year is all about trying new things, so get out there and make 2017 the best year yet!