17 Good Things That Happened in 2017

17 Good Things That Happened in 2017

Stranger things season 2, April the Giraffe, and Taylor Swifts new album, its been a great year.

1080
17 Good Things That Happened in 2017
Kelly Jean from Unsplash

2017 was a year filled with extreme tragedy. Hurricanes, wildfires, and earthquakes. Two of the most deadly mass shooting in modern U.S history occurred. Tragedies across the country occurred almost daily, but we shouldn't forget about the good things that happened last year.

1. In June, women in Saudi Arabia were granted permission to drive.

Leaders are actually hoping that this will drive up women participation in the workplace!!! This is huge. This is one step closer twards equality for this country. This. Is. Amazing.

2. April the Giraffe had her calf, and Fiona the Hippo was born.

3. Tim Tams are now available for purchase in most Wal-Mart and Target locations across the U.S.

In case you don’t know, Tim Tams are an Australian treat that consists of two wafers with chocolate cream inside. A 7 ounce bar retails for about 3 dollars in the U.S. If you haven't gotten your hands on these yet, you need to right now.

4. The Women’s March became the largest single-day demonstration in recorded U.S. history. (Although it lasted longer than one day).

5. NASA released all of its research to the public (for free!!).

You can view NASA’s research library today, for free, through the web database “PubSpace”. The hope is that this will help others in their research and stimulate innovation.

6. Ariana Grande hosted a benefit concert for 50,000 fans, after the devastating attack at the Manchester show.

After a horrific terrorist attack in London, Ariana hosted the “One Love Manchester” benefit concert which was intended to raise money for those affected by the bombing.

7. Jackie Robinson is getting his own museum located in Manhattan.

Set to open in Spring of 2019, this museum will incorporate memorabilia from Robinson’s baseball career and his personal life. Pictured below are members of the Jackie Robinson Foundation breaking ground on this project.

8. The solar eclipse!!!!!!

The last time the entire U.S saw this was in 1979, the next total eclipse will not happen until 2024 (and I’m already excited about it).

9. Beyonce gave birth to twins.

10. Scientists discovered a new organ in the human body

It’s called the mesentery. It was believed to be a fragmented part of our digestive system. This organ is a set of tissues that line the abdominal cavity, and it could play a key role in the understanding and treatment of abdominal and digestive diseases.

11. Despacito became the most streamed song of ALL TIME.

Along with the title of the most streamed song of literally all time, the song was also ranked the fifth best Latin song of all time by Billboard. It was also in Time’s top ten songs of the year.

12. Taylor Swift released her sixth album, Reputation.

This was the only album to sell one million physical copies in 2017. With digital music at our fingertips it’s so easy just to press the play button. One million of her fans went out, and bought physical copies.

13. Rihanna launched Fenty Beauty.

The new makeup line sold 72 million dollars of product within the first month of the launch. Fenty launched with a foundation that had a shade range of 40, this was and still is amazing. This launch was a huge success for 29-year-old Rihanna, I can not wait to see the products she releases in 2018.

14. Wonder Woman was released, and the highest grossing superhero origin film. It even topped the 2002 release of spider-man, which earned over 200 million in sales.

15. Stranger things released a second season.

This season exceeded the expectations of fans. This release had millions talking, and resulted in Eleven being a very popular Halloween costume.

16. Sea world San Diego hosted its final orca performance after years of receiving criticism for keeping their killer whales in captivity.

17. Scientists classified a brand new type of aurora... and they named it Steve.

It turns out that Steve is very common, scientists have just never noticed him before. Look how stunning he is.

Hmm, maybe 2017 wasn’t as bad as you think.